ATX Community

Beta Tester - Redux

Jack from Ohio

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For simple returns, Drake works very well. However, for complex partnership returns with transfers and special allocations, Drake is a nightmare. You can bring up the 1040 in form-based mode but to go to the input for Schedule A or E, for example, it just takes you to an input screen. I looked forever on the 2210 input screen for a way to suppress the form, only to find that the option is on the Name and Address input screen. Now where's the logic in that? I really like the "jump to" feature in ATX. I never had an issue about "where did that number come from??"

Maybe I'm doing something really wrong. Any input would be appreciated.

It takes a little learning, but Drake really does a better job on complex partnership allocations than ATX. I found I had to go to the additional screens and really set things up correctly so that Drake would handle all the calculations including the partnership basis issues.

For instance, Drake also does a much better job on things like the 754 election (adjustment to inside basis for certain partners). With ATX I had to do all sorts of work arounds and customize the underlying calculations by editing the Excel Spreadsheet in the ATX software, something that could not be done in the 2012 software.

I suggest really working through the additional pages and talking with Tech Support, they helped me immensely.

Crank,

What software are you switching from and why?

I used ATX/Sabre from about 1995-2009, TaxWorks for 2010 & 2011 (which I loved) and TaxWise for 2012. I really didnt care for TaxWise as it took significantly longer time to prepare returns than with previous software. So I am back to looking at ATX and a few others.

Taxwise many not have any cool features but it is relatively bug free also compared to most other tax software. I think the reason is that VITA uses it.

It is a good software to have as a backup option.