ATX Community

Word is NO BOOKS from CCH this year

BulldogTom

Yes I do here it goes:

I ordered the Deluxe Edition Plus for $73 (incl. Drake discount). Ask them if they would allow a discount based on the software you use.

Your credit card will be charged for entire order when first item ships. For orders that include
an online product, access is available immediately and credit card will be charged at time of order.

Tax Materials, Inc.
15105 Minnetonka Ind. Rd.
Suite 221
Minnetonka, MN 55345
www.thetaxbook.com
Email: [email protected]
Toll Free: 866-919-5277
Local: 952-746-5276
Fax: 952-746-5278

www.thetaxbook.com
Toll Free: 866-919-5277

According to the ATX description of packages, Max includes the US Master Tax Guide online and in print. It says that the 1040 Express will be online or a downloadable PDF. That is a huge disappointment. I have been getting used to using it a lot more in the past few years. I KNOW that when I looked at the packages before, they included both books in print. Will be calling my sales rep on Mon.

I should add that my first source of reference is Pub 17; then Quickfinder 1040 and Business.; then Express Answers and the final authority is always the Master Tax Guide. They use that same book, MTG, at the local IRS office. I would really feel cheated if I lost that one.

• Like 1

Most companies are getting away from providing hardcopy manuals etc. For example ATX 2011 gave you that nice blue hardcopy manual. Taxwise and Drake do not give you a hardcopy manual unless you want to pay extra.

I am ok if it is pdf because i can print the sections I want and book mark the others as i see necessary.

• Like 1

Thanks

I really prefer "the hard copy" when looking for information. (Am I showing my age?)

It is a matter of preference. I too like an actual hardcopy for the office. BUT I do make home visits for my long time senior citizen clients who have given up driving or not in the best shape. A pdf on my laptop works wonders because some of them do not have internet so I can not even browse.

Thanks

I really prefer "the hard copy" when looking for information. (Am I showing my age?)

For me it is also computer "screen" eye fatigue. However, the word search feature really helps to dial into the reference points of my subject. That's when I hit print! :P

• Like 1

I think the last time I got a free MTG was 3 or 4 years back. The local payroll processing companies in my area have gone cheap. Calendars, Pens that sort of stuff. I think they reserve those lavish gifts to bigger CPA shops and store fronts.

I got a free Toner from a new office supply company last year.

Also before you refer one of your clients to a local payroll company, do some checking around and find out if they are indirectly owned by another CPA firm or have a marketing arrangement.

I learned the hard way when, I lost a small business client after 2 years of referring to such a company.

• Like 1

I always got the Tax Book along with the Express Answers because I've found that the books have different stuff in them. For example, I couldn't find the table to figure out an RMD in Express Answers. That said last year I needed an All States in a hurry, and the only company that had a downloadable version was Quickfinder through Thompson-Reuters ProReview - which put the book on my iPad. I like it so much I ordered all my reference materials in ProReview. One nice thing is that it gives me another screen/computer to work through, and is as portable as the print version if I need to look up something for a client (my main computer is in a different room than where I meet with clients).

Plus it does justify some biz use of the iPad!

• Like 2

>> Does reading the ATX Community Board count?

In my opinion it does! Show the auditor how much tax knowledge is here collectively. May be they will check this board (they probably do already, Eric??).

The Tax Book comes with the spiral binding, but also has holes punched in case you want to remove the spiral binding and put your copy in a notebook binder.

I like the idea of using the notebook in case I want to remove a page and scan it and e-mail it to answer a client's question.

I think "the word" is wrong....because I just noticed that I got a "1040 Express Answers" 2014 renewal notice....

It says "spiral bound"....so I assuming this is old fashioned print

I'm going to call them later today....just to confirm

I hope this is correct, but if you go to the catalog and read the description of Max, it says that Express Answers is online and PDF download. I surely would miss the spiral bound edition.

>> I like the idea of using the notebook in case I want to remove a page and scan it and e-mail it to answer a client's question.

Excellent. That is what I do and also for those without e-mail make a hard copy (highlight the answer) and give it to them if they ask for it.