ATX Community

NT Don't believe everything you read/hear on the net

ILLMAS

Here is a story of a gay waitresses who allegedly received a hateful comment from a customer and even worst was denied a tip because she was gay. The story made headlines and there was an outpour of supporters sending her money. Now listen to the customer side of the story and it doesn't add up to the waitresses said.

http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/11/26/21625339-family-disputes-gay-servers-story?lite

Should the waitress be fired and have to return all the money?

If I owned the restaurant she would be fired not for her 'lifestyle' but for her dishonesty. No way you can make her return the money sent to her.

Here is a story on the internet that I do not know if it is true or not, but I hope it is.

Love Story

A 14 year old girl works in her parents candy store. One day a 12 year old boy and his father come in to buy a news paper. The 12 year old boy instantly falls in love. Everyday, for more than two years, without ever missing a day, the young boy came into the candy store and bought a Hershey bar. Each Hershey bar had a small, barely noticeable sticker with the name of the store on it. He was so shy that it was hard for him to even speak when he was near her. After more than two years of buying Hershey bars everyday, the girl he was in love with was gone. He continued to go in for a few weeks but it became obvious to him that she was no longer working there. The young boy was devastated. He could think of nothing but this beautiful girl.
Many years later, the young boy, now a young man, goes to college out of state. One day, while walking on campus, he notices a student on a bench crying, he goes over to ask if she's ok. She told him that she is not ok. He put his books down on the bench, sat down next to her and tried to make her feel better, but she was very upset. She wouldn't tell him details but she made it very clear that she thought the guy she was dating loved her and today somehow she found that wasn't true.
As the young boy left to go to class, he left his history notebook on the bench. The young woman, still crying, opened his history, loose leaf notebook so she can get his name and maybe a class schedule so she can return it to him. She found no name or class schedule, and there was not one note written from any school subject. What she did find was 763 Hershey wrappers, with love letters written on the back of each one. Each Hershey wrapper had the small sticker with the name and address of her parents candy store, the same store she worked in as a young girl. The love letters were all written to her!!! She continued to cry, even harder now, but they were clearly different tears.

This story is being told today, by another 14 year old girl who works in the same candy store. She is telling her customers the story of how her grandparents met about 60 years ago.

~~Love Story~~

Here is a story of a gay waitresses who allegedly received a hateful comment from a customer and even worst was denied a tip because she was gay. The story made headlines and there was an outpour of supporters sending her money. Now listen to the customer side of the story and it doesn't add up to the waitresses said.

http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/11/26/21625339-family-disputes-gay-servers-story?lite

I think the IRS should look at her tip records. Nothing like a friendly audit of your voluntary tax return to find the truth.

Tom

Hollister, CA

• Like 1

I looked at the two receipts on TV and it appears that they are the same for the total amount, except one has around $18 in tip written in ink. The other is blank with that scribble. So it is possible that when the printer printed the two copies they were separated, and one was written over. They need to check the credit card statement to see if the tip amount is as written on the receipt the diners have.

There has to be a merchant copy with the tip amount, and credit card holder signature otherwise how did the credit card get charged the correct amount?

The merchant copy shown in the video does not show tip.

In general...the waiter gives you the bill....and then you add the tip of the merchant copy. The customer copy doesn't have the tip...but you can write it in separately.

Perhaps the customer said "Just add $18" and didn't actually write it on the merchant copy....but did on her own copy.

The last time I went to the hair salon I forgot my cash...so I had to charge it. I told the hairdresser to add her tip....I never wrote it.

ETA-They run the "credit" without the tip first...to make sure there are funds. I believe they run it again to add the tip.

On one of my credit cards I see the "untipped charge" pending....and then the next day....the total.

• Like 1

I looked at the two receipts on TV and it appears that they are the same for the total amount, except one has around $18 in tip written in ink. The other is blank with that scribble. So it is possible that when the printer printed the two copies they were separated, and one was written over. They need to check the credit card statement to see if the tip amount is as written on the receipt the diners have.

That information IS in the article. The customer DID pay a tip. Hmmmmmm

Two words why I don't trust many things I see on social media: PHOTOSHOP & SCAM

Something seems amiss here. The restaurant should be able to easily provide a copy of the receipt for the charge as processed and put this matter to rest. Credit card charges are usually disputed within a month, or a couple of weeks more, and it is not uncommon for businesses to have to provide a copy of the original signed credit card receipt with the customer's signature to prove the validity of the sale and the total charged. I get this request periodically from one of my pizza shop clients when I am in possession of their bookkeeping records and if they have a customer that disputes a charge on their credit card statement.

If the credit card statement shows a $18 tip. So then the question is did the customer authorize that tip. It appears to be because the customer copy shows a $18 tip, but the merchant copy does not. So we have a conflict.

Because of photoshop scams we need verification from the credit card company as to how the transaction was submitted.

Those days are over, no more carbon copy receipts, MOST businesses use a thermal printer in restaurants and you mostly get two copies of your reciept, customer copy and merchant copy. The customer copy makes no difference if you sign it or not, since you keep it. The only thing I hate of those thermal printer receipts is that they get ruined if they are exposed to light for a period of time.

If the credit card statement shows a $18 tip. So then the question is did the customer authorize that tip. It appears to be because the customer copy shows a $18 tip, but the merchant copy does not. So we have a conflict.

Because of photoshop scams we need verification from the credit card company as to how the transaction was submitted.

Not exactly, the restaurant submits a total charge of the the bill + tip to the credit card company, however the restaurant books should reflect the bill and the tip separately. I bet if the restaurant checks it's POS system, bingo the girl is caught red handed.

• Like 1

Did the restaurant say what was recorded in its POS system? Last I heard they were still investigating??

Seems to me that by now they should be able to run some report for that day and time in question and see what was logged and how.

If you take a look at the receipt I am attaching, most restaurant use a POS system to take order, prevents from waiters giving freebies, once the waiter puts in the order the kitchen fulfills the order. If you notice my check was for $19.01 and on the customer copy you'll see the amount from the check + tip. You will also notice I received a 20% hard hat discount, I also get the police, neighbor and employee discount. I think this is important to add, if I were to look at the debit card online for todays purchase for example, I would see $19.01 as pending, 3 to 4 days from now I will see the total charge of $26.01, don't ask me why it happens, I am guessing the tip isn't processed until they do the weekly close out.

MAS

2013_11_27_10_29_01.pdf

• Like 1

Very interesting. I never go online right away to see the transaction on my cc account. I get an e-mail at the end of the month that my statement is ready and I then download it and pay the balance online from my bank account.

I do record the tip and the total on my copy and match that with the cc statement. I was in NYC during Christmas week one year and we were in a group so we paid the tip in cash to the waitress and I charged it on my credit card because we split the tab. It was over $150. Then I found out the Restaurant had automatically added 20% on top of that though my receipt only had the food total and I crossed off the tip since we chipped in the tip. Discover card was great, they took that 20% off and adjusted.

Per the article in the OP.

They also provided a document they said was a Visa bill, which appears to indicate their card was charged for the meal plus the tip, for a total of $111.55.

• Like 2

Waitress Who Likely Lied About Anti-Gay Note in Lieu of a Tip Is Accused of a Bigger Lie – This One Will Really Tick Off Military Vets
Nov. 27, 2013 7:30pm Jason Howerton
The New Jersey waitress accused of lying about receiving an anti-gay note instead of a tip has a long history of lying and is always in need of “sympathy and empathy,” according to people who know her. In addition to likely lying about getting anti-gay insults on a recent receipt, Dayna Morales, 22, is also accused of lying about her military service and falsely telling friends that she had brain cancer and that her home was severely damaged by Superstorm Sandy.
“Every story she comes up with has a lie,” coworker Julie Howat told the Journal News . “Any tragedy that happened, she had to be a part of it. She needed sympathy and empathy,” she added. A former classmate of Morales’ told the newspaper that you “can’t believe much of what she says.”
In what would certainly be the most egregious lie, Morales allegedly told friends that she somehow managed to survive an explosion that killed her entire platoon in Afghanistan. A U.S. Marines spokesman confirmed that the waitress served in the Marine Corps Reserve until May 2013, but there was “no indication of combat service in Iraq or Afghanistan.” Morales failed to “fulfill her reserve obligation,” the spokesman said.
More from the Journal News :
The explosion left her with back injuries that required surgery and a couple of months to recover, Larkin said Morales told her employer. But during her time off, Morales posted photos of herself on Facebook enjoying a trip to Florida with a girlfriend, they said.
Samantha Reidy of Pomona, who dated Morales for a month a couple of years ago, said Morales appeared to have undergone the back surgery, and sent pictures of herself in pain. But Reidy said Morales told her that she had a quick recovery that allowed her to take the trip. Morales, who stopped all contact with Reidy shortly after taking the trip to visit another girlfriend, got engaged to the other woman when she returned.
Reidy said poems penned by Morales during their courtship that she kept appeared to have matched the writing on the restaurant receipt, bringing into question whether Morales wrote the note on the receipt herself.
Morales has not been fired from the Gallop Asian Bistro in Bridgewater, N.J., however, she is not currently on the schedule to work.