ATX Community

Conversion from ATX to Proseries or TaxWise

RBowersea

For the first time in my 30+ year career, I find the need to have a backup tax program entering a filing season. ATX has been my program for more than 15 years but the 2012 fiasco coupled with a less than perfect 2013 program has created the need to have a backup chosen prior to tax season in case it blows up again.

I could not find another program that I really liked but had to narrow the field down to two, ProSeries and TaxWise. I would like to know if anyone has gone through a conversion from ATX to either of the programs and how good/accurate/complete was the result?

We would be switching on the fly during tax season and the conversion may be the make or break point of tax season. Any input from someone with experience will be greatly appreciated.

I have converted from ATX 2011 to Taxwise as well as Drake and both conversions were uneventful except for the minor situations where some carryforwards did not populate correctly. You have to check carryforwards manually for each return just to be 100% sure it is accurate. If I had to do it again I would do it.

How many returns do you need to convert? My recommendation is NOT to do a bulk conversion of your entire database but each return as needed. It is faster and gives you the opportunity to check it carefully. These conversion programs are basically setup to look for the default locations of the directories. So if youhave changed that make sure you know exactly where your client files are before you start and change it in the conversion program.

Before I do any conversion I make sure the old tax prep software has the current updates, passwords removed and returns are unlocked. Otherwise you will get an error sometimes if the conversion program can't read a field. This is important and a source of frustration.

I cant speak for ATX to anything other than TaxWorks and it went great. However from TaxWorks to TaxWise there was some erroneous data such as carry forwards and depreciation. I'll soon find out how TaxWise to ATX goes when they release the conversion. One would assume it would be a smooth, clean conversion since both are CCH companies but it's a bit perplexing that it still isnt available while ATX has already released the conversions for most of the other major tax prep software programs.

I cant speak for ATX to anything other than TaxWorks and it went great. However from TaxWorks to TaxWise there was some erroneous data such as carry forwards and depreciation. I'll soon find out how TaxWise to ATX goes when they release the conversion. One would assume it would be a smooth, clean conversion since both are CCH companies but it's a bit perplexing that it still isnt available while ATX has already released the conversions for most of the other major tax prep software programs.

Very bad assumptions. CCH developed TaxWise. CCH bought ATX. The programs are NOT similar at all.

The programs are NOT similar at all.

Yes I agree with you. They are totally different platform. You may be surprised but if I had to choose between Taxwise and ATX I would choose ATX :)

Very bad assumptions. CCH developed TaxWise. CCH bought ATX. The programs are NOT similar at all.

CCH did NOT develop Taxwise. Founded in 1986, Universal Tax Systems developed Taxwise. In 2006 it was purchased by CCH, a Wolters Kluwer business.

The programs are NOT similar at all.

Another case where you totally missed the main point of my post.

I used TaxWise in 2008 and ATX in 2009. Only the basic info converted for use in 2009. Since I wanted my 2 year comparisons to have the right data, I practically had to redo each return. I had "assumed" that since each was a CCH program, the conversion would go better - because they would know the inner workings of each program (regardless of who developed them). I truly hope they've improved the conversion in the last 4 years.

I don't use those programs, but I do have a tab where I can put info from last year into this year's return for new clients or flesh out converted info. I just type in what I want to. No need to go to prior year or actually prepare a return in a prior year. Handy tab to use so I can have the 2-year comparison for my own proofreading and to go over with clients.

I have found that the 2 yr comparison opens up a can of worms with certain clients who have poor budgeting skills. I remember one couple started arguing between themselves that their income went up by about 25% and so did the taxes, but the husband was not seeing any difference in their lifestyle except now I just pointed out that he is paying more in taxes! Needless to say that they left my office not too happy. So now I am very careful with that report.

Explain it as the reason you're paying more in taxes is because your income went up.

I use it for my proofreading. And, I use it whenever a client asks why their balance due is more. And, I use it when making recommendations re next year's W/H or ES, such as they'll lose a dependent or is your bonus going to be more or CT or NY raised their rates again or.... It's one more tool in our arsenal and not just numbers. It's what it can tell us and our clients that's important.

• Like 1

I, too, find the comparison useful. If the refund or balance due is different than the prior year, the clients invariably ask why that is. Now I start with the comparison as a summary of the return and show where any differences are. Those clients that have a good handle on their finances usually don't want to go over the entire return page by page and want to stop after the comparison. I'll continue to the return and give the highlights or any areas that I feel need to be specifically addressed in more detail. Then I move on to the state. With many of my clients over 60 and 65, my state gives several additional tax deductions or exemptions that I like to point out.

I used TaxWise in 2008 and ATX in 2009. Only the basic info converted for use in 2009. Since I wanted my 2 year comparisons to have the right data, I practically had to redo each return. I had "assumed" that since each was a CCH program, the conversion would go better - because they would know the inner workings of each program (regardless of who developed them). I truly hope they've improved the conversion in the last 4 years.

Thanks Kea. I'm also hoping the conversion has improved but I'm expecting that it hasn't. If it has I will be truly elated.

I use the two year comparison for most clients. It's very helpful in explaining what has transpired but it can lead to detailed discussions of both tax years.

Don't get me wrong. The 2 yr comparison is an excellent tool for the analytical types. I run it with my family members returns. I just find that with certain people when I want to end the tax appointment on a "happy" note, it causes more intense discussion and they leave a bit unhappy, especially if the taxes went up from the previous year. Human nature, they overlook that their income went up too, but they focus strictly on the taxes!

I do run a special report for taxpayers with dependents getting the CTC and alert them when a change is about to happen. This gives them a heads up a year in advance.

ssssh, another hijacked thread, the poster is asking about atx to pro or taxwise and everyone got off tangent.

I converted to pro last year and posted my comments here a few times.. Basically it was ok but they don't transfer trust so that was a big issue. Depreciated assets had to be recoded for depr type and term and alt min. but the assets were there and linked to the correct property or business. NOL's had to be reentered but took only a minute if you have the atx NOL schedule printed out in front of you. One pain is that pro picked up schedule B payers and W-2 payers that you didn't delete from atx even if the client didn't have them for years. It did cause me to think I was missing bank accts etc in my current info until I compared to prior years.

If you do the conversion do it with them on the phone with you since I few steps are left out of their instructions, biggest one is that each file you send them should only have about 50 returns in it but the instructions said to put all your data files into one file for conversion.

• Like 1