ATX Community

2013 Publication 17-------Ready

Elrod

The biggest advantage of having a pdf of pub 17 in my opinion is the ability to either print/fax or email the relevant page to a taxpayer in response to their questions. Before we had pdf I used to photo copy from the book then highlight then send it with a letter using snail mail. What a pain that was!

Pub 17 is written in such plain language that I like to keep a copy on my desk for the clients' sake. Sometimes you can tell that they're uncomfortable when you inform them that they can or can't do something (claim a dependent, deduct whatever). The pub is so well indexed it's easy to grab it and read the rules aloud in terms they can understand. They think you're reading the Tax Code to them or some other authority and it does put them at ease. And it's still free!

• Like 1

I used to have a client who came to the tax appointment with his own copy of J.K Lasser's Your Income Tax. This is when IRS used to mail complete 1040 booklets. He did not like the IRS lingo!

Can someone give an example of when they have needed to reference this publication?

The most common question by far that I get (just got one this week). My son's girlfriend was thrown out of her home and she came to live with us. can I claim her as a dependent on the tax return?

Another one I get frequently from divorced parents with joint custody. Can we indicate on the return that we have joint custody and split the child tax credit equally, since we are splitting all other expenses for the child equally?

I used to have a client who came to the tax appointment with his own copy of J.K Lasser's Your Income Tax. This is when IRS used to mail complete 1040 booklets. He did not like the IRS lingo!

I really like J.K Lasser's Your Income Tax book and have purchased it since the early 80s. For ~$15-$20 on amazon its a great plain language resource.

The most common question by far that I get (just got one this week). My son's girlfriend was thrown out of her home and she came to live with us. can I claim her as a dependent on the tax return?

Without looking this one up I would venture to say yes as long as not claimed by someone else and they lived with the taxpayer the entire year. Is my memory correct or do I need to start using reference guides/google?

I really like J.K Lasser's Your Income Tax book and have purchased it since the early 80s. For ~$15-$20 on amazon its a great plain language resource.

It has been quite a while since I looked at a J.K. Lassers book, but if I remember correctly, it is an exact copy of Pub 17 with a few pages added to the front and back. The IRS doesn't copyright anything they publish, or at least they didn't use to. It's a good way to get other people to do their printing for them.

Can someone give an example of when they have needed to reference this publication?

Year after year, the one thing I use most is the dependency worksheet (page 30). Its value did not diminish with the Qualifying Child rules. Pub 17 is not the only place to find tax tables but it is as convenient as any. Other sections I turn to almost every year include the definition of alimony and the energy credit details. Anything else a client doubts can usually be quickly settled with Pub 17--casualty loss and 401(k) hardship withdrawal at least every couple of years. Sometimes I tell a client to just get the whole thing to read about business expenses, or Pubs 535 and 463.

Actually, now that the Internet is so fast and easy I prefer the individual pubs, which sometimes have more detail about how to apply the rules. (Almost as often I read the instructions for forms.) Obviously all this is in the public domain so any other tax guide covers it. (Except that I know of nothing better than Pub 15 Circular E for clients with employees.) The great advantage of the official text is the amazingly understandable language it offers. I use it with colleagues as well as clients.

But unless I already know exactly where to look, I usually start with Quickfinder 1040 or Small Business. These are essential in two ways. First, they give a little perspective on which rules are more common and important. And they give citations so you know whether you're dealing with the code itself or some ruling of narrower interpretation.

One more thing--even if you never use it yourself, make sure you have a dog-eared copy of Pub 17 to casually drop out of your briefcase any time you meet with an auditor. For some reason, they really like that book!

• Like 2

I use it almost on a daily basis. I first consult Pub 17, then look further if I need a more in-depth answer. It was also the backbone of the contentious RTRP exam. I want the paper copy for sure.

Not to hijack this thread, but those of you who ordered 2013 Taxbooks they are shipping this week. UPS just dropped off mine right now :)

Im considering purchase a Taxbook for this year. I have never tried it. I tired CCH's books for a few years but wasnt thrilled with them. They all seem overpriced to me.

Im considering purchase a Taxbook for this year. I have never tried it. I tired CCH's books for a few years but wasnt thrilled with them. They all seem overpriced to me.

If you order Taxbooks they may have a discount program. Mention your tax software. I would recommend the Deluxe edition. Retail price $75. The promo code is 127G

Order at www.thetaxbook.com or 866-919-5277