ATX Community

just venting

Karen Lee

Venting is OK any time you need it. One of the great things about this board is that we help each other, not just with tax questions, although that is important. We also help when the walls close in, or the clients go nut! Karen, been there, wanted to scream at them, bit my tongue to keep from that, then Margaret posted something that made me laugh, and I was back in good spirits. Hang tough, Karen. And please, add at lest a few dollars to the bill of those who quote their lawyer, their friend, or their barber! At least $5, 10, and $15, respectively. :P

• Like 2

Venting is OK any time you need it. One of the great things about this board is that we help each other, not just with tax questions, although that is important. We also help when the walls close in, or the clients go nut! Karen, been there, wanted to scream at them, bit my tongue to keep from that, then Margaret posted something that made me laugh, and I was back in good spirits. Hang tough, Karen. And please, add at lest a few dollars to the bill of those who quote their lawyer, their friend, or their barber! At least $5, 10, and $15, respectively. :P

I would say $25, $50 and $100 respectively!!

I did say AT LEAST. I myself would use your numbers or possibly higher, depending on what other gems they drop on me, but we do have some here who really do charge very low fees, and for them, I'm just hoping they follow at least my minimums, because it's only fair, and it does make it easier to put up with.

I did say AT LEAST. I myself would use your numbers or possibly higher, depending on what other gems they drop on me, but we do have some here who really do charge very low fees, and for them, I'm just hoping they follow at least my minimums, because it's only fair, and it does make it easier to put up with.

Would that be me?

I already gave 2 people their "new & improved" prices....no arguments yet.

It's always a good time to vent. It could have been building up since January of 2010. The life you save may be your own.

I just had two clients ask me when W-2's would be ready cause their EIC loving employees need them. It's apparently not too early for them to be tacky jackasses.

Yes, I told them they'd have them by January 31.

• Like 1

People do think "since it's all on computer, it should be ready in a day or two". They don't realize that the major cause of having to do 'corrections' is rushing and not taking time to cross check and verify addresses, etc. Not to mention the dreaded "Christmas bonus checks" that so often are a last minute idea that the owner did not bother to find out how to do them correctly, he just wrote a check, not part of the payroll, HE THOUGHT.

• Like 1

How can Free File be up and running when the IRS said it isn't accepting returns (paper or electronic) until Jan 31?

We too have had employees of clients clamoring for their W2s. I spent the past few days preparing 1099-MISC forms. Not a single person has clamored for one of those. :P

The new budget bill that passed yesterday cuts IRS funding by $500m. This after both the Taxpayer Advocate and the consumer advisory group issued recent reports that railed against the lack of agency funding. Both said point blank that the IRS can't do what it's supposed to do without the money to do it. What business on earth cuts their accounts receivable department? Our politicos just had to punish them for targeting conservative nonprofits. I was at a liaison meeting a short time ago and saw some of the damage. Our regional liaison no longer has a cell phone, a number he always shared. Criminal Investigation has way reduced staffing. Hey, these are the folks that catch the big-time cheats and recoup zillions of dollars. I just heard from the local chapter of NAEA that the Practitioner Priority Line will only accept calls regarding account issues. No more faxing the POA while you're on the phone and getting a transcript. It's e-services or nothing. And of course, to access e-services we have to fax the POA and wait until it's entered in the system. That used to take a couple of days but with less people it might just be a couple of weeks.

The reduced funding comes at a time when the IRS is mandated to implement its piece of the ACA and has no choice but to devote much of its resources to identity theft and refund fraud. Perhaps the only way they can get the money to do their job is through preparer penalties. Whereas most of us never worried too much about that because we really do try to follow the rules and might only have a client or two who duped us or for whom we didn't have time to do our due diligence, I think we should start to worry now.

With Free File returns, the IRS will receive the data and process it after the e-file opening data. It is the similar if your tax software allows you to transmit returns to them prior to 1/31. The software vendor may be holding the returns and sending them to the IRS in batches, 20,000 at a time is what I read elsewhere.

Our regional liaison no longer has a cell phone, a number he always shared. Criminal Investigation has way reduced staffing. Hey, these are the folks that catch the big-time cheats and recoup zillions of dollars. I just heard from the local chapter of NAEA that the Practitioner Priority Line will only accept calls regarding account issues. No more faxing the POA while you're on the phone and getting a transcript. It's e-services or nothing. And of course, to access e-services we have to fax the POA and wait until it's entered in the system. That used to take a couple of days but with less people it might just be a couple of weeks.

What a whirlpool!

With Free File returns, the IRS will receive the data and process it after the e-file opening data. It is the similar if your tax software allows you to transmit returns to them prior to 1/31. The software vendor may be holding the returns and sending them to the IRS in batches, 20,000 at a time is what I read elsewhere.

Yeah...BUT....the people don't hear the part about Jan 31. They only hear that Free File is available.

And if you file for someone NOW....they are going to be calling about their refund for a few weeks.

• Like 1

I am with Jack, last year I didn't even install my software till mid February, I let others find and deal with the beginning of year bugs. Unless a client has a big reason to file, like leaving country or going for a loan etc I advice to wait till the end of February. I get them up and ready to go and just transmit them all the same day.

Those who are holding completed returns should review the IRS guidelines on "Stockpiling."

"An ERO must ensure that stockpiling of returns does not occur at its offices. Stockpiling is:

• collecting returns from taxpayers or from another Authorized IRS e-file Provider prior to official acceptance in IRS e-file; or
  • after official acceptance to participate in IRS e-file, stockpiling refers to waiting more than three calendar days to submit the return to the IRS once the ERO has all necessary information for origination

The IRS does not consider returns held prior to the date that it accepts transmission of electronic returns stockpiled. This includes when the IRS is not able to accept specific returns, forms, or schedules until a date later than the start-up of IRS e-file due to constraints such as late legislation, programming issues, etc. EROs must advise taxpayers that it cannot transmit returns to the IRS until the date the IRS accepts transmission of electronic returns."

http://www.irs.gov/uac/Submitting-the-Electronic-Return-to-the-IRS

yeah and the irs also says it should take 15 hours to do a basic 1040. IRS and reality don't always mesh. I know the 3 day rule but you got be practical. so many exceptions like client send authorizations but you are out at clients all week or client sends authorizations and then tells you he needs to verify his bank account info blah blah blah. Given all the form corrections each season from the software people I will take my chances if the irs ever questions it.

How can Free File be up and running when the IRS said it isn't accepting returns (paper or electronic) until Jan 31?

Yeah...BUT....the people don't hear the part about Jan 31. They only hear that Free File is available.

And if you file for someone NOW....they are going to be calling about their refund for a few weeks.

MsTabbyKats, the post I made was in answer only to SaraEA's question. I understand your complaint.