ATX Community

ATX Support

Christian

Rarely do I ever have efile problems. A client has a Social Security card whose married name has four complete words the last two being hyphenated (nothing like being highfalutin). Her former single name was used in 2011 and 2012 with no problems but is now rejected. I have sent her now married name deleting the hyphen but ,alas, it still will not go through. I am wondering if there is an ATX number other than routine support I can call.

Perhaps they could call Andover and get this matter resolved.

I had a kid with two middle names, four words in all. Rejected using his last name, so tried other combinations and hit upon the last two word being his "last name" as far as the IRS computer was concerned. Try some other combinations, such as the fourth word as last name or the second word. If you have the client conferenced in when you call the help desk, they may tell you which word will match their database.

ATX Customer support can not resolve these kinds of issues.

Your best method in resolving this is to contact the SSA and speaking with them about this issue.

They could have put it in the Master Tax File Database incorrectly.

I will edit this post later when i have my information in front of me and provide the telephone number on Monday.

married name has four complete words the last two being hyphenated

This is very common here in California, where more than half the population is Hispanic and half of the rest have made up their own names based on a dodgy marital status and/or a Middle Earth fantasy. In my experience, SSA is just as confused so calling them has no more chance of success than trial and error. The most likely possibilities for you are either of the hyphenated words. If you have done both, convert to paper file and get on with your life.

Alas, this is really embarrassing. This return would not roll over. In recreating the return from scratch yours truly

misspelled the clients name by one letter. Oddly enough this individual has been married for a couple of years and the folks at social security have not notified the Service of this change in all this time. Still it was a dumb mistake. Thanks for your info I may very well need it for a different client. :(

Odd that the return would not roll over.

Did you go into 2012 and choose the little checkmark next to the return and go to Returns and choose redownload forms in marked returns?

That fixes a lot of the rollover issues. The other is that one that says Metastring something.

Do the same thing but open the return and save it. That would resolve that issue.

Gileam the return would roll over but on opening in the 2013 program I got the following message " the program has encountered an unexpected error and will need to close". A tech at ATX imported the file there and got the same message with the result that they could find no solution. I finally gave up and created a new 2013 file and made an error in the client's name. Not the first I have made in over thirty years. :wall: