ATX Community

Funny N/T - DST and how to handle it ...NOT!

jklcpa

I need more caffeine today! Daughter-in-law arrives at midnight tonight with her laptop so we can sit down together Monday morning to get their partnership and personal tax info before she heads into NYC to visit friends for the day. Have a complex return to complete by Tuesday when clients return from FL but leave the next day for Italy; they take it home and both pour over every line before mailing it (he's a banker and will not e-file nor do direct deposit). They live over an hour away, so I don't want to have to reprint and deliver to them because I made an over-tired typo. Hubby's watching March Madness basketball on TV, but I'm feeling March Madness!

• Like 2

I'm down to just the one paper. Used to be two, but finally started e-filing trusts so convinced my gal with two trusts and her personal return that we should e-file all of them. And, the wife for my only paper is beginning to think that if I have to e-file that she might be willing to go along with it. They had researched the opt-out possibilities for federal and state! But, hubby is still holding out.

I tell my clients that as a preparer I'm required to efile (which is true). I just fail to mention their right to opt out. I now have no clients who paper file :).

I tell them it is Mandatory also. NYS says so. So far the only paper return I have to file is when the ex claimed the dependents in error (or hoping no one would notice).