ATX Community

Deduction for Payments Never Received

gfizer

I have a cash basis taxpayer who is a speech therapist. She performed services to clients in their homes as an independent contractor through a local agency. The agency went belly up and never paid her (or several other independent contractors) for services rendered in the amount of $3,550.00. When she brought her information to me she asked if there was any way she could deduct anything for the funds she never received. I told her that as a cash basis taxpayer since the amounts had never been included in her income she did not have any bad debt deduction. She insists that some of the other independent contractors were able to take a deduction. Am I missing something?

Thanks,

Gina

I tell them I could add it in and then deduct it out and the answer would remain the same ... except for the extra fee I would charge them to do it.

It sounds like the gal I had a few days ago that is a speech therapist, (1099MISC). She says she gets 60 percent of money earned in clinic; the clinic gets the 40 percent for their expenses. But the HR person told her she allowed to claim 5 % of the 40% that she doesn't get for "rent" because

5% of the part they keep is her rent and to use it as an expense! Not in the 1099, so no deduction!!

• Like 1

Unless the others' are using accrual and reported the income already, they can't deduct the 'loss'. But we all know that some preparers, rather than argue about it, let their clients 'think' that they deducted something that they did not really do. That could be why she was told that. Then there are the clients who just ASSUME that whatever they give you, you take. Surely we've all had a few of those, too.

I was almost 100% positive that I was correct about this but just wanted to be sure I wasn't missing anything. It is so nice to be able to run things past this group. It's been said many times before, but I appreciate each one of you and your willingness to share your knowledge and thoughts during what is such a busy time for all of us.

Thanks again!

Gina

• Like 3