ATX Community

efile rejection for taxpayer claimed as dependent on parent's return

I did parent's return in which I put the minor daughter as dependent.

I then did 1040 EZ for the daughter in which I checked the box where it said that taxpayer can be claimed as dependent on parent's return.

However I efiled parent's return first and next day I efiled daughters return.

Parent's return got accepted OK but daughter's return got rejected. The rejected error message says:

"Taxpayer TIN in the return must not be the same as a TIN of a previously accepted Electronic Return for the return type and period indicated in the return"

I don't understand it. If I did not claim daughter exemption in the daughter's tax return then whether daughter TIN is included in other return should not be an issue.

What am I missing here.

thanks for your help.

Naveen Mohan

Check the daugher's input again and make sure that box stayed checked. Last year in ATX, users would check that box and exit out of that form without moving to another field on that form, and that cause the checkmark in the box to not be there.

Check the box and move to another field before exiting that screen.

• Like 1

I would have expected a different reject if the dependent's was transmitted claiming their own exemption. Specifically

F1040-510
If Form 1040, Line 6a checkbox 'ExemptPrimaryInd' is checked, then Primary SSN in the Return Header must not be the same as a 'DependentSSN' on another tax return.

An R0000-902 makes me wonder if the dependent already filed their own return somewhere else or on their own.

I had the same situation last year except in reverse. I filed the daughter's return first showing that she could be claimed as a dependent on her parents' return and e-flied it. Then when I attempted to e-file the parents' return a few days later I got the exact same reject message. Later in the year the parents received the standard letter from the IRS stating that the same dependent had been claimed on 2 returns yada yada yada. I opened the daughter's return again after her parents received the letter and the checkbox is still unmarked and there is no amount entered on line 42 for her personal exemption. Never did figure it out.

I did parent's return in which I put the minor daughter as dependent.

I then did 1040 EZ for the daughter in which I checked the box where it said that taxpayer can be claimed as dependent on parent's return.

However I efiled parent's return first and next day I efiled daughters return.

Parent's return got accepted OK but daughter's return got rejected. The rejected error message says:

"Taxpayer TIN in the return must not be the same as a TIN of a previously accepted Electronic Return for the return type and period indicated in the return"

I don't understand it. If I did not claim daughter exemption in the daughter's tax return then whether daughter TIN is included in other return should not be an issue.

What am I missing here.

thanks for your help.

Naveen Mohan

If this is the case, the daughter's SS# was accepted on the parent's return as a dependent, then someone filed a return for the daughter not claiming herself. Otherwise, the error would have said that someone already claimed this SS# as a dependent. I am betting that the daughter or one of her "helpful" friends already filed it.

if it were identity theft, the crook would have claimed dependency for the daughter and the parent's return would have rejected.

• Like 2