ATX Community

S corp distributions excess of basis

cpabsd

Corp has a book loss for 2013. They distributed $132,706 excess distributions. I understand I have to issue a 1099. Is this a 1099-div?

On the books of the s corp, AAA cannot go below zero due to distributions. Where do I put the excess distributions on Schedule M-2 so that retained earnings is in balance? This entity has always been an S corp.

I've never issued a 1099 and I don't think you should because it's already reported on the K1. Excess distributions are capital gains so if you were going to issue a 1099 it would be a 1099B.

I would not treat it as a loan to shareholder because it's not evidenced by a note and the loan will never be repaid.

• Like 1

Actually...Where did the cash come from?

If there was no "Profit" how can they have distributions in excess of basis? Especially $132k worth of distributions...

Then there is this possible answer:

They borrowed money for something else or refinanced it, and took the cash. Leaving the debt in the business, so then they really have a "Debt-financed distribution" and the treatment of that is different.

Its easy to just put it into the "S-Distribution" slot, but really, it isn't.

Rich

• Like 1

what if there was heavy depreciation that wiped out profits but left plenty of cash in the business?

Then in that case, and it happens a lot, is you then tell the client that you get to pick up Capital Gains taxes on all those distributions.

And oh yeah, NEXT year when you have to pay off the loans and have no distributions? Yes, you get to pay tax then on that phantom income....

So, tread carefully here.

Rich

Distributions on K-1, no 1099. Basis tracked. Distributions in excess of basis, long term cap gains on 1040.

Yes, agree with Randall.

Corp has a book loss for 2013. They distributed $132,706 excess distributions. I understand I have to issue a 1099. Is this a 1099-div?

On the books of the s corp, AAA cannot go below zero due to distributions. Where do I put the excess distributions on Schedule M-2 so that retained earnings is in balance? This entity has always been an S corp.

The retained earnings balance will differ from the AAA in this case since distributions can't reduce the AAA below zero.

• Like 1

Then in that case, and it happens a lot, is you then tell the client that you get to pick up Capital Gains taxes on all those distributions.

And oh yeah, NEXT year when you have to pay off the loans and have no distributions? Yes, you get to pay tax then on that phantom income....

So, tread carefully here.

Rich

I would rather have capital gains distributions than W2 wages. It's all money coming form the business to the individual. I used to dread it when there were distributions in excess of basis but then I realized it's not a problem. The losses get suspended to be used against future income.

The retained earnings balance will differ from the AAA in this case since distributions can't reduce the AAA below zero.

It's amazing how many people get this wrong. Most of my S corps' AAA does not equal retained earnings. But then again, I have no idea why we track AAA. I've never used it in any calculations, even on liquidations.

It's amazing how many people get this wrong. Most of my S corps' AAA does not equal retained earnings. But then again, I have no idea why we track AAA. I've never used it in any calculations, even on liquidations.

I wonder why we track it too. Once it goes to zero, it becomes meaningless on the return and makes no sense.

Why in the hell would you make someone pick up capital gains? Think people make it an advance or loan.

On audit, the IRS would move it to distributions anyway. Might as well do it right to begin with. The shareholder clearly did not intend this to be a loan. "penalties of perjury, blah, blah, blah.

Oh please. Have them draft a loan letter up with some small amount of interest. You can't live your life scared of the IRS. Are we tax advocates or just a conduits of funds to the federal imperial government?

And then they never repay it and what do you do? Plus you're stuck with imputed interest which creates phantom interest income on the S Corp. No thanks!

And then they never repay it and what do you do? Plus you're stuck with imputed interest which creates phantom interest income on the S Corp. No thanks!

Imputed interest on $132K at the blended rate now might be $1,000 in income and $270 in tax this year, or less. $132K in Cap gains is $35k in my state...

That is one reason why not.

Especially if it has to come back...Which it will.

Rich

Oh please. Have them draft a loan letter up with some small amount of interest. You can't live your life scared of the IRS. Are we tax advocates or just a conduits of funds to the federal imperial government?

Agree with this. and next year you can charge it to distributions if they have income or you can put it on a w-2. We have had numerous audits where they accept that we post it to loan and the next year we pick it up as w-2. Most agents understand that we don't see the books on these small businesses till the year is over.

Agree with this. and next year you can charge it to distributions if they have income or you can put it on a w-2. We have had numerous audits where they accept that we post it to loan and the next year we pick it up as w-2. Most agents understand that we don't see the books on these small businesses till the year is over.

Exactly most of the time this is caused by bonus depreciation or section 179. Both of which are gone with the wind.