ATX Community

ATX SAYS MEMORY ISSUE WILL BE FIXED FOR 2014 SEASON

Lee B

Good morning,

Are you at version 13.6.0.84 of ATX2013?
Also, which version of Windows are you running on your PC?

The memory issue has been addressed in the 2014 software, but I'm also able to open three large returns in 2013 ATX, using a standalone Windows 7 PC.

The program is using just over 1 Gig of memory with three returns open.
It is using less than a quarter Gig with one return open.

If you are installed over a network, this may be why your system is using more memory.

Donnie P.
CCH Small Firm Services
Lead Customer Service Representative

i always love it when ATX runs a scenario on one their their pristine systems

and act amazed that any users have problems !

Good morning,

Are you at version 13.6.0.84 of ATX2013?

Also, which version of Windows are you running on your PC?

The memory issue has been addressed in the 2014 software, but I'm also able to open three large returns in 2013 ATX, using a standalone Windows 7 PC.

The program is using just over 1 Gig of memory with three returns open.

It is using less than a quarter Gig with one return open.

If you are installed over a network, this may be why your system is using more memory.

Donnie P.

CCH Small Firm Services

Lead Customer Service Representative

i always love it when ATX runs a scenario on one their their pristine systems

and act amazed that any users have problems !

I have heard this for 3 years running.

Why should I believe it now? I wasn't asked to be a beta tester this year, so I can't help with heads up info about the program.

SKEPTICAL

• Like 1

Copied from a post on the ATX Board this AM :

•  

Barry here,

We have a network with 5 w/s. We have had problems keeping the server communicating with the w/s.'s. I saw Donnie P's response to network memory. I started to write him on this forum, but also called ATX, and OMG guess who answered the phone... Donnie P. He didn't know too much about networks but after I explained that we have had trouble with our system he called the tech's in the back and let me talk to them. I had them remote into my server to look it over. I had to add 16GB memory to my new (Jan 14) server to get program to quit bombing out. My IT guy could not believe my server was almost blue screening while running ATX. So I had this guy look it over to see if it looked alright. He spent about 2 hrs cleaning deleting rebuilding ATX directory's. To delete one of the directory's it took 3 1/2 hrs and is still working and not finished yet.

So go figure about 2014

Barry"BigBear"Schweiger

Follow up post from the same poster on the ATX Board :

Ps.

I put the extra 16 GB in the new server in Feb. 14. I just got done with Tech support again. At 2:30 the last tech said everything was good to go. Notice I wrote at 3:03. Well by 3:30 I was pulling my hair and not being able to open returns. Error said I had newer versions of forms on the program..wtf? I even got a bigger surprise when in frustration I had my assistant call ATX. that's 6:30 pm their time, Holy Crap someone answered the phone. I just got off the line with them. Yep 2 1/2 hrs more to get the program up and running with new forms. 7068 of them. Now it is 6:19 and I will work for 3-4 more hours trying to get done what I was finishing at 10 am this morning.

Lacerte is starting to look cheaper all the time. :)

Barry"BigBear"Schweiger

ProSystem fx.  In the time it takes to deal with ATX issues, you could prepare a few more returns in Pro fx and earn enough to pay for the more expensive software.  By the way, I like both ProSystem fx and Ultra Tax better than Lacerte.  Just sayin'.  Send for the demos.

I changed to proseries and it does have its issues in number of forms etc, but I have never had any hardware/software issues in 2 years. Only rejections were for real items, not for not having the current form type stuff.  I think letters suck, program manager isn't really customizable but I would trade all that for not having hang ups, non existent support, or freezes, reboots etc.  After negotiations my pro cost just 2x atx but if I save 5 hours over the course of the year then I figure I made back my money in more sleep and less anxiety.

I have never let ATX tech "support" mess with my database. There is a definite reason for that, and the prior posts explain why.

When the tech tries messing with the database to correct an obvious program flaw, it speaks loudly at the lengths ATX will go to cover their butts. I am tech knowledgeable enough to know better than to let them mess with the database.

Anyone else reading this would be wise to take heed.

They wanted to rework my database the last week of March. I said "HELL NO!" I made the right choice.

2014 is still in the contemplation stage for me. I have heard so many "...we will fix that problem, guaranteed!" statements for the last three years, that I grow weary of even asking them about such.

Regarding alternatives, I still stick to the assertion that Drake is the only true competitor in this price range. Except that Drake is significantly bettter than ATX in terms of speed and ease of use. It blows the doors off ATX with its efficiency.

Having used both, and having reached a high degree of software transparency with Drake, I'd even pay a premium for it over ATX. All one has to do is break that dependence upon forms based entry, which IMO is way overblown. After that, everyting falls into place rapidly. I know for certain that I'm making more money with Drake. Since I'm in business to earn a profit, that's the acid test.

• Like 1