ATX Community

Guns for Refunds.....

ETax847

After witnessing gun shots outside my bank earlier this week, I was considering doing some pro bono work.  I would offer people free tax preparation if they turn in a gun.  I would call the program "Guns for Refunds" just because it rhymes not because everyone would be getting back a refund.  Please let me know your thoughts, comments, concerns and questions

Nice idea --- with reservations:   In a pass life one of my responsibilities was to work on programs like this.  EXCELLENT idea BUT make sure you structure it with "drop off" of weapons being done separately from doing taxes, etc..   MUST BE easily accessible, secure, many people around (not maybe right there but not you alone, etc.), security made known and immediate (at least at end of time daily) removal of weapons by police, etc.

Criminals (even gang-bangers) are not dumb and if you do not meet these requirements, they would have no hesitation in helping you remove what you collect to a different place, etc..

Although some "politicians" are not much removed from "gang-bangers" (my opinion) -- you might want to see if the local government will help "work" and/or maybe expand the program.

You will get mostly "semi-legal" people participating (those who have a weapon just in the closet, etc.) but you will still remove some possible sources and help a bit.

Use the same safety of self and love ones as guidance for your "guns for refunds" guidance and you might be OK.

The folks who believe that only the police & military should have firearms make the point FOR us:  the only thing that stops a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun.  

They simply limit the definition of "good guy" to police and military.  History shows, time and again over the millennia and as recently as the past decade, that the greatest number of civilian deaths in the world are at the hands of the peoples' OWN government.  Always preceded by disarmament "for greater safety".  Always.  

As a side story, the police are notoriously bad shooters.  After watching the Cambridge MA cops use our (MIT's) range for practice one day, I used to tell people that if the Cambridge cops started shooting, go stand right in front of them as it was the ONLY safe place.  Just watching them scared the dickens out of me and I was astounded that no one got hurt.  My coach, who was retired from the Providence RI police force, had hours of hysterically funny, terrifying, stories about the Providence PD folks.

• Like 2

Political views regarding gun ownership aside, I'm curious to know why anyone would take part in such a thing.

I mean, guns aren't cheap.  Even my little .17HMR rimfire rifle cost more than $500.  My handgun cost twice that, and hunting rifles can easily go for three times that much.  I'd need to have quite the tax return to make it worth trading one of them for tax preparation services.  I have two guns that I didn't pay anything for, one belonged to my maternal grandfather, and the other to my paternal grandfather--I wouldn't trade them for anything.  

Are there people out there with unused guns just hanging around the house?

• Like 3

Around here cities sometimes have a turn in your guns day, often for cash or a gift certificate.  They usually collect a lot of weapons. Sure some are nonworking junk, but many come from inner-city moms who found them under their teenager's mattress or hidden in a drawer.  They don't have much control over their kids, but they throw out the drugs and turn in the guns if they're lucky enough to find them because they really don't want their children involved with that stuff.  So yes, these collection days do get some illegal guns off the street.

That said, I wouldn't touch the idea of a private collection.  Let the police do it.  It would take a real jerk to try to rob a police station.  If people know you are collecting guns, you are a sitting duck.

• Like 1