ATX Community

drake as a backup software

Naveen Mohan from New York

I went to an annual tax update seminar and the person who sat next to me mentioned that he is transitioning out from ATX to Drake and he encouraged me to do the same.

does Drake has a similar community forum like ATX. Also is it too late in the season to be learning a new software.

should I buy both ATX max and Drake this year?

Thanks for your help.

Naveen Mohan

I went to an annual tax update seminar and the person who sat next to me mentioned that he is transitioning out from ATX to Drake and he encouraged me to do the same.

does Drake has a similar community forum like ATX. Also is it too late in the season to be learning a new software.

should I buy both ATX max and Drake this year?

Thanks for your help.

Naveen Mohan

I'm going to move your post to the Drake subforum here on this site.

To answer your questions:

Yes, Drake has a very nice extensive forum that stays active with some very knowledgeable people participating year round.  I could send you a few screen shots if you'd like.

I can't answer about how long it would take you to be comfortable with the software or if it would be suitable to your practice. If you are seriously considering it, why not get a copy of their software and try it out between now and year end? It is free and a fully functional copy of last year's program. The biggest hangup that people have is moving away from forms-based input and learning the quirks of any new program that you would try.  Once I got through the conversion it didn't take me all that long before I was comfortable with most returns, and I started with it in mid-February. You could try it now and rework some of your returns with it that are most representative of the returns that you prepare to get an idea if it will be something that you are comfortable with and will work in your particular practice.

I've gone to several of their presentations in the past and Drake is where I would go if ATX falls on its face this year.

There is no need to buy both of them. If I had to switch in February, I think it would go fairly well.

I just prefer to stay with ATX, as long as things don't get any worse, since I've used ATX for over 15 years.

I switched to Drake after the 2012 season debacle and had no trouble transitioning.  However, I will note that Drake does have different quirks from the ones ATX has.  Their support is unbeatable; immediate answer from a human who understands tax AND software.  When they have to research something and say they'll get back to you, they DO.  (I am still waiting for a 48-72 hour promised callback from ATX from February of 2013 on one issue.)

If you have lots of depreciation schedules, those may take a bit of time to re-tweak after importing info.  I found I had to re-number assets and manually enter AMT depreciation figures.  There may have been a way to get around those but I only had a couple of clients with more than one or two items, so for me it wasn't a big enough deal to research and ask for help - I just re-entered.

They do have a pay per return service, as well -- and if you pay for enough individual returns, it reverts to an all-inclusive license.

Of course you may still participate here. This is not an official forum run by CCH. It is a private group that was started after CCH shut off the official forum in 2007 on April the 10th or 11th. I haven't used ATX in 2 years, and I am here along with others that have migrated away from ATX as their main software.

I don't think you can access the Drake forum until you purchase it, and that is why I offered to send you some screen shots.

Two quirks in Drake:

1.  If you have a non-deductible IRA, you need to go to the bottom of the 1099R screen and indicate it should be excluded; otherwise, you get the full amount on the 1099R PLUS the amount on the 8606.

2.  If you have an indirect rollover of an IRA,  you need to go to the bottom of the 1099R screen and code it "S" NOT 'X" to exclude it and to get the program to print "Rollover' on page 1 of the 1040

• Like 1