ATX Community

2011 ATX Problem

cmeashey423

If you had the program set to automatically check for program and form updates when the program starts, it is still trying to do that. Since you are no longer an ATX user, this error you are seeing is most likely due to the program trying to connect, and you've been cut off from the ATX server for any updates since your departure. The last thing I did with my ATX programs before terminating my relationship with ATX was to turn that function off. It is the same thing that happens if the internet connection is inaccessible when the program starts.

• Like 1

The safer alternative would be to install from the archive disc on another computer and restore or import those returns that are needed from your backup media.

NOOOOO  If the program was already installed, it is only a configuration fix.  Also, NEVER install from the CD.  Always download the install file from the website.

NOOOOO  If the program was already installed, it is only a configuration fix.  Also, NEVER install from the CD.  Always download the install file from the website.

Interesting. Can someone who is no longer an ATX subscriber still download the older programs that were purchased?  I know that I can still access MyATX and see my old install codes there. Can I still download too?  I thought the archive was the only option at that point.

ETA - I see that I can still access the download center and the prior programs. Obviously I didn't try the link since I have those years still on this computer.

This is a very dangerous process if not totally familiar with the proper configuration of the programs.  NOT RECOMMENDED

It is the best recommended practice on years prior to 2012 if you just need to get to your clients' returns. What could go wrong if you still have the original computer intact.  As a matter of fact transferring the database folder to another computer is the best course of action just in case that computer dies completely.

Please install on a second computer and move on. All you need is access to your data and printing. You don't need to manipulate or efile returns for 2011.

Hitting the cancel button, does not work. :|  Not sure I know how to do any of the other stuff, since it seems really complicated.  How do I access my backup files?  I see that the program does back them up, but I don't know where.  And if they are encrypted by ATX in the .VTS format, I won't be able to open them up anyway....... :unsure:  

I have the discs too but I also have the install files on my hard drive and I include them in my backup. Discs can get lost or even fail.

That's true, but I'm not really worried about that. I still have back to 2009 on this computer plus having the discs, and now know that I still have access to download the programs through MyATX.  If all of that failed to get me back to an old ATX return, I may as well retire  ( <--  :P ), Drake provides the programs available for download back to tax year 2002 that I could use. When I switched to Drake for the 2012 tax year, I transferred every return to their 2011 program and tied every bit of the information in as if it had been prepared in that program. From those files, I then rolled over to 2012 for the first year I actually prepared with that program. That gives me 3 years' returns already on Drake too, and I have the ability to download any of their programs easily from their server any time needed.

• Like 2

And here is the e-mail response from ATX.  After over 12 years of being a loyal customer!  :mad:

To: com>
Sent: Fri, 16 Jan 2015 14:30:43 -0600
Subject: ATX2011 [interactionID:ba4efd67-7347-4994-a9f3-267b38ecf5aa]

Hello,
I cannot open my 2011 ATX.  It keeps trying to update and then shows an error box and shuts down.  I was given a link to fix this problem, but apparently it is no loner working as well.
Can you help?
Thanks,
Claire Meashey
ID# 1472711

01/16/15, 
 wrote:

Good evening Claire,

Our records show you are not a current customer so the license agreement prevents us providing assistance with your issue. 

Thank you for using our product,

Chamara Franklin

Customer Service Representative

CCH Small Firm Services,

a Wolters Kluwer business

Phone (800) 638-8291

Fax (888) 815-7587

[email protected]

On 01/17/15, Claire Meashey<[email protected]> wrote:

So, even though I paid for the 2011 software and the crappy 2012 software and was a loyal customer for over 12 years, this is your answer.
Thanks so much for your very kind support, Chamara.
Sincerely,
Claire Meashey
  :wall:

Claire,

FWIW I copied and pasted your emails into an email to my ATX service rep, copying his manager, and thanked him for not addressing my needs as you received ATX, with an added comment:

"Yep, IMO there are still a few kinks to be worked out on customer service responses…….."

I try to believe that by and large people in customer service at any company are there to help customers.

And I also believe we all have good days and not so good days.

And then there are the responses that just don't make any sense......

Edited by David Ristau CPA