ATX Community

Recommend a backup software

ILLMAS

EaseUS to Do  Free Backup software.  I am using it on three computers with six alternating external drives.  It works great and you can actually open and read the files on the backup disk.  We tested a restore as well and it worked perfectly. 

Will this also backup the programs or only the document files?

It will back up your entire hard drive.  That is the only option I have ever used, but I know that there are others.  As I said, you can actually open the programs and/or the files from within the backup.  Really a neat little free program.  My object here is that should my hard drive fail; I can completely restore everything that was on it to a new drive.   I do know that you can choose to do incremental backups also.

I just took a quick peek at the program.  You can back up the entire system or you can choose to back up document files.  Other options there too.  You can start a system backup before you go to bed and set the program to shut down the computer when the backup is finished.  For program files, I generally use jump drives to back up files as I go so I have double coverage in case I would have to reinstall a program that I use often.

I use Solway's Plain Backup, you can set up whatever you want to back up.

I backup to a 300GB USB drive.

I backup the complete ATX directories and all the documents files.

You can use the copy feature and copy only newer files.

I use the free version, you can also buy a more robust version which will backup your registry also.

Have not had a failure of a file yet, using it for 3 or 4 years.

I use Crash Plan to backup my whole computer at home.  I used that for a year or so to make sure it did what it promised.  And wanting an off site back up for the office, I decided to use their commercial product for the office.  I backup the whole server.  The first backup took 18 days if my memory serves correct, but now it backs up in real time every few minutes.  The home plan I believe was around $60 per year.  The office costs me $10 per month.  Not free, but an excellent product in my opinion.