ATX Community

Affordability Exemption Test

HV Ken

OK - so we have our first affordability exemption test.

Here is our calculation - just looking to ensure our thinking is right!

1) Since the cost minus the Premium Assistance Credit (if client had insurance) is less than 8% of MAGI, insurance is considered affordable and penalty applies.

2) Perhaps I have completely missed it, but do we have a worksheet to perform this calculation in the ATX software?  (This snipet is from a simple spreadsheet I created....)

MAGI               $23,064.00   (from tax return)

8% of MAGI     $  1,845.12      

monthly           $     153.76                      

Cost of single lowest bronze plan     $261.93   (NYS lookup)

premium assistance credit                $208.00   (from 8962)

Cost - credit                                        $  53.93                      

Result:       Affordable      

Edited by HV Ken

HV Ken,      Just double checked and NO the worksheets are NOT in current ATX 14.4v.     I went over to the ATX board and have asked as if memory serves (and that is big IF sometime) they had discussed providing the worksheets in the 14.4 update that happened this past Thursday.    If they answer, I will share.

Right now the only worksheets outside the HHS site I can find are in the instructions of the 8965 form (pages 10 & 11).

Edited by easytax

HV Ken,      Just double checked and NO the worksheets are NOT in current ATX 14.4v.     I went over to the ATX board and have asked as if memory serves (and that is big IF sometime) they had discussed providing the worksheets in the 14.4 update that happened this past Thursday.    If they answer, I will share.

Right now the only worksheets outside the HHS site I can find are in the instructions of the 8965 form (pages 10 & 11).

Kirstin at ATX does GREAT and quick work.

As Maxwell Smart (of "Control") friend to "99" says --- missed my editing time window on previous post by ====this=== much.

Anyway, she reminded me that updates and form "enhancements" are two separate things.    The 8965 is being "enhanced" to add the worksheets - but with no release date --- (my comment) -- could be today might be next week???

Edited by easytax

OK - so we have our first affordability exemption test.

Here is our calculation - just looking to ensure our thinking is right!

1) Since the cost minus the Premium Assistance Credit (if client had insurance) is less than 8% of MAGI, insurance is considered affordable and penalty applies.

2) Perhaps I have completely missed it, but do we have a worksheet to perform this calculation in the ATX software?  (This snipet is from a simple spreadsheet I created....)

MAGI               $23,064.00   (from tax return)

8% of MAGI     $  1,845.12      

monthly           $     153.76                      

Cost of single lowest bronze plan     $261.93   (NYS lookup)

premium assistance credit                $208.00   (from 8962)

Cost - credit                                        $  53.93                      

Result:       Affordable      

If you do these work sheets, it will always be affordable, correct? That's because if the price for insurance is higher or the income is lower, then the credit is higher to the point that it will be free (medicare), correct?

If you do these work sheets, it will always be affordable, correct? That's because if the price for insurance is higher or the income is lower, then the credit is higher to the point that it will be free (medicare), correct?

I think if income is between 100% - 400% of poverty level, it's going to be affordable, unless everybody smokes like a freight train.  Pretty much.  Yes.

In ATX, The worksheet in the 8965 with the links to insurance information doesn't seem to figure the insurance credit. When I use the valuepen website, it figures the premium with the subsidy, which I've been using as the cost of insurance. the worksheet link

just shows total premium, which most times is unaffordable for lower income tax payers. Am I doing it wrong? has anyone else filled in that worksheet?

My question is why does the subsidy calculate into the 1040 tax exemption for code A at the time of filing the return? The only way to get the subsidy is through the market place which will in turn give the advanced premium tax credit that you cannot get at the end of the year. Am I missing something here? I will have to review my study materials as I don't clearly remember the subsidy coming into play for the 1040 filing. I guess it makes some sense that it should because the bottom line with the subsidy would be the actual out of pocket cost.

My question is why does the subsidy calculate into the 1040 tax exemption for code A at the time of filing the return? The only way to get the subsidy is through the market place which will in turn give the advanced premium tax credit that you cannot get at the end of the year. Am I missing something here? I will have to review my study materials as I don't clearly remember the subsidy coming into play for the 1040 filing. I guess it makes some sense that it should because the bottom line with the subsidy would be the actual out of pocket cost.

It does make sense to use the subsidy for the exact reason you said:  you have to consider the bottom line cost to determine affordability.  I did not realize that at first and thought, "What the crap?  The very people we (they) are coercing into getting insurance are going to escape the penalty if they don't buy insurance." 

And when I say "buy" insurance, I mean "get" insurance because the rest of us are paying for it and our own, too.