ATX Community

Crazy situation

Janitor Bob

Client gets married in 2014.  She has one child in college.  In 2013, client was single and had income of $22,000.  So this time last year she reaped the benefits of filing HOH, EIC and AOC from her daughter's education expenses. 

This year, she can only file MFS or MFJ....BUT her husband does not files taxes.  In his words "never have...never will".  I have no idea what type of income the husband has...my client did tell me that he had several 1099s.

Client tried and failed to convince husband to file.  He refused...said he would rather go to jail.

Client said husband made approx. $15,000 doing odd jobs in 2014 and client only made $10,000 in 2014.  So if they did file joint they would get nice EIC and a few thousand for AOC (although injured spouse form might come into play to avoid having it all held for what I assume husband likely owes in back taxes)...but as stated, husband refuses to file.

So...Client's only option is to file MFS...and so will not qualify for EIC or any education credits....All she can do is get back what she paid in (approx $300.00).

Client can not even apply for financial aid for the daughter because now that they are married, the FAFSA wants to also pull the husband's income tax information...which does not exist.

Daughter lived away from home all of 2014 (as a college student)...worked and totally supported herself.  Is there any way the daughter can claim herself instead of being claimed on my client/mom's return?  between her income and student loans, the daughter totally supported herself.

:wall: