ATX Community

Government sent 800,000 HealthCare.gov customers wrong tax info

mrichman333

This should surprise none of us.  This is the same thing that goes on with 1099s  from the brokerage houses.   January  - here is your final  1099.  February - here is your revision of your final 1099.  March - here is your final revision of your final 1099.  August - here is your amended final 1099.  The same government that allows that nonsense is the same government that issued these 800,000 erroneous documents. The real news will be if they can get it right the second time.  And, no, this is not a political comment pointing fingers at any party or party member.  It is simply the culture in which we live.

• Like 4

This should surprise none of us.  This is the same thing that goes on with 1099s  from the brokerage houses.   January  - here is your final  1099.  February - here is your revision of your final 1099.  March - here is your final revision of your final 1099.  August - here is your amended final 1099.  The same government that allows that nonsense is the same government that issued these 800,000 erroneous documents. The real news will be if they can get it right the second time.  And, no, this is not a political comment pointing fingers at any party or party member.  It is simply the culture in which we live.

Goes to show the Government cannot run anything

• Like 1

I don't know why the U.S. News & Report didn't show the AP's whole article.  Here is the AP's entire article that says the government is still investigating the root of the problem, it appears to be with a "benchmark" figure, and that the 50,000 that have already filed will receive special instructions on what to do from here. 

I'd assume that the "benchmark" referred to is the SLCSP.

I want to know how and when the government will be notifying those with incorrect forms. 

Maybe Obamacare will send out checks to the preparers who have to amend the tax returns. 

But then we would have to sign up on the website and wait 3 months for approval of our credentials, which would have to involve a new back end process for the programmers, at which point the IRS would issue new regulations saying that you don't have to amend until we can get the system up and running, and that regulation would come after 250K of the people who have already amended their returns, which would lead to a congressional hearing at which time the programmers will take the 5th to avoid the inquiry of congress, which will lead congress to further cut the IRS budget.

Or something like that.

Totally political disgust in this post, so Judy or KC can delete it if they think it is inappropriate for this forum.

Tom

Newark, CA

• Like 2

lol Tom, I think we're all frustrated at this point with this ridiculousness and that of the ongoing changes to the repair regs also.

I found my answer about when and how the gov't will be notifying those with incorrect forms.  The marketplace will call +/or email those that are affected.  The SLCSP shown on some 1095-A forms was the 2015 premium in some cases, not the 2014 amount.

Here's the page on the marketplace that describes the issue, and it has a link to look up the appropriate SLCSP for 2014.

ETA - Accounting Today's article said that people can log in to their marketplace account and should also see a notice in their mailbox that will state whether or not their 1095-A was one with the error.

2nd edit - log on to the marketplace, open the 2014 application, and then click on "Tax Forms" which is the bottom choice in the list at left.  If the 1095-A is affected, a big red box will appear with the message stating that the 1095-A originally issued is wrong.

Edited by jklcpa
added info
  • Like 2

This is exactly what I have been posting about.  I have clients that I know should not be having to pay back subsidies, but the paperwork is showing they do.

I had already found out that at least 100,000 from covered California were effected, some of my clients have been notified that corrected information is on the way.  So at last I am getting confirmation that I suspected from the time I did my very first reconciliation.

• Like 3

This is exactly what I have been posting about.  I have clients that I know should not be having to pay back subsidies, but the paperwork is showing they do.

I had already found out that at least 100,000 from covered California were effected, some of my clients have been notified that corrected information is on the way.  So at last I am getting confirmation that I suspected from the time I did my very first reconciliation.

Your situation was the first thing - ok second thing after "WTF" - that I thought about after I read the post.

Tom

Newark, CA

• Like 1