ATX Community

Rejection on 1040

Yardley CPA

Good morning...it was predicted that we would have a "trecherous" commute to work this morning with up to 8 inches of snow throughout the day (beginning at around 11 last night).  Reality...light snow and a coating on the ground this morning in the suburbs of Philly.  :dunno:

Rolled 1040 for a MFJ couple with three dependent children.  Nothing has changed since last year.  I received the rejection notice below.  Can anyone lend any insight?  All the SSN's are the same and as I mentioned, I did not change anything. The rejection makes it sound ilke the TIN has already been accepted on another return that has been efiled?

Rejection code:  R0000-902-01

Duplicate Condition:  Taxpayer TIN in the Return Header must not be the same as a TIN of a previously accpeted electronic return for the return type and tax period indicated in the tax return. 

In other words:  Taxpayer TIN in the Return Header must not be the same as a TIN of a previously accpeted electronic return for the return type and tax period indicated in the tax return.

Thanks very much!

• Like 1

Have the client go to this IRS page.  Call the phone number, and follow their instructions.  You can assist by completing form 14039 and include it with the paper filed return.  Be sure to include at least 2 of the Identity documents asked for.

http://www.irs.gov/privacy/article/0,,id=249802,00.html

Taxpayers SS# has been used to file a fraudulent return.

Edited by Jack from Ohio
  • Like 3

Jack...I'm just curious, did you get the same exact rejection as I got?

Duplicate Condition:  Taxpayer TIN in the Return Header must not be the same as a TIN of a previously accepted electronic return for the return type and tax period indicated in the tax return. 

In other words:  Taxpayer TIN in the Return Header must not be the same as a TIN of a previously accepted electronic return for the return type and tax period indicated in the tax return.

Jack...I'm just curious, did you get the same exact rejection as I got?

Duplicate Condition:  Taxpayer TIN in the Return Header must not be the same as a TIN of a previously accepted electronic return for the return type and tax period indicated in the tax return. 

In other words:  Taxpayer TIN in the Return Header must not be the same as a TIN of a previously accepted electronic return for the return type and tax period indicated in the tax return.

It is exactly the same.  My original recommendation is the correct response.  I have dealt with far too many of these.

Similar type of situation:

Couple got married in 2014.  I did their returns while they were single.  Filing went thru....no problems.

They got a letter from IRS about "verifying identity"...with a phone number to call.  Of course, nobody is there to answer the phone.  She also tried to do it on-line....and it came back "Cannot verify identity".

No..she did not change her name!

Any thoughts?

Similar type of situation:

Couple got married in 2014.  I did their returns while they were single.  Filing went thru....no problems.

They got a letter from IRS about "verifying identity"...with a phone number to call.  Of course, nobody is there to answer the phone.  She also tried to do it on-line....and it came back "Cannot verify identity".

No..she did not change her name!

Any thoughts?

They must call the number.  No other option.  This indicates something afoot with their identity at the IRS.

Following all of your suggestions (including the link and information Jack included on his submission) I directed my clients to contact the IRS.  They did that and the IRS did cofirm that someone used both of their names and social security numbers (with a different address than theirs) to file a 1040 form.   The IRS would not provide any additional information to my clients and we will now move forward and and paper file the return including form 14039 and the forms of identification that are required.  I also have to paper file two of their state returns as both states require a copy of the federal return.  Thanks to all of you and thanks to Jack for posting the link. 

• Like 2

Following all of your suggestions (including the link and information Jack included on his submission) I directed my clients to contact the IRS.  They did that and the IRS did cofirm that someone used both of their names and social security numbers (with a different address than theirs) to file a 1040 form.   The IRS would not provide any additional information to my clients and we will now move forward and and paper file the return including form 14039 and the forms of identification that are required.  I also have to paper file two of their state returns as both states require a copy of the federal return.  Thanks to all of you and thanks to Jack for posting the link. 

Try having the client go to irs.gov and get a transcript.  That would show the information.  Signing in to the site, the taxpayer will have to go through an "identity" firewall of questions to get in, but once there, all the last 4 years transcripts can be printed or downloaded directly from the site. 

I am not sure what value the information would be, but some folks can't stand not knowing.

• Like 1

Yardly,

Just saw an IRS video recently....tell the taxpayers to make a police report and ask the police department if they participate in the program to help the IRS in finding the identity thieves ... if the police department does participate in the program, they will have a form for the taxpayers to sign that will enable them to know what's going on with their identity theft.

• Like 3

The following is the link to a video explaining the program above with a taxpayers identity theft and their local law enforcement.  It's a complete turn around in policy since Congress called them down for not taking appropriate actions on identity theft!  Before Congress chewed them out, a client was told that they (IRS) could not inform local law enforcement neither could they (IRS) tell the taxpayers who stole their identity due to the "privacy issue with the thieves".  

Another video from IRS tells victims to IMMEDIATELY file a police report, in addition to completing IRS Form 14039 and contacting credit bureaus....not bad ideas!

Edited by Cathy
  • Like 2

We've had 5 client with identity theft so far this season--3 whose SS numbers were already used and 2 who got 1099Gs from other states showing they got refunds for 2013 returns filed there in 2014. Last year we had 4 the entire season. Before that, we averaged 2 per season, all deceased (that was before Congress bent the freedom of information rules and allowed HHS to stop posting on the internet the SS numbers of everyone who died).

Remember way back in the early days of efile when taxpayers had to put their last year's AGI on the 8879? Reinstating that requirement would eliminate much of this rampant identity theft. Or is that solution too easy?

• Like 3