ATX Community

Efile name too long

Randall

Client's spouse is usuing a hyphenated last name. When I create the efile, the error message says the name is too long and I must truncate it. The message gave me the priority steps to truncate, first using only initial for first name. I did so and it allows me to create the efile. I haven't transmitted the return yet.

Any one have this before? Any problems with the SSN/Name matchup?

Client's spouse is usuing a hyphenated last name. When I create the efile, the error message says the name is too long and I must truncate it. The message gave me the priority steps to truncate, first using only initial for first name. I did so and it allows me to create the efile. I haven't transmitted the return yet.

I have done this before. Go ahead and e-file your return. August

I had this problem and was told,I believe by IRS to only use the first 4 letters of the long last name since that is all SSA uses. I tried it and it worked. Hope this helps.

There could be a problem with shortening the last name to 4 characters. If they get a refund check and the name on it doesn't match their driver's license, they might have a problem cashing the check. Better to shorten the 1st names, first.

Last year, back when you could still get SOME support, I asked the same question.

They sent the link below from their Knowledgebase.

Document ID 5169

Tax Year 2003; 2004; 2005; 2006

Product E-file, TaxPrep

"Error: Name is too long for e-file" when creating e-files

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You receive the following message when creating a 1040 e-file in your ATX software:

1040 - Error: Name is too long for e-file.

http://techkb.atxforms.com/TSTKB.nsf/0/3e7...99?OpenDocument

I checked the link and it still works. Or you can go to MyAtx Knowledgebase and put in Document ID 5169