ATX Community

Rebate Returns (Unfortuantly another question)

Jeanne

How are we supposed to file these returns. According to the IRS website, we are to do a 1040A and write "Stimulus Return" on the top. Are we going to have to do these by hand or will they be efile eligible? Hopefully, if efile eligible, then ATX will provide us with the "proper" way to do it. What about fee? How are you going to charge people to prepare these--- my husband says charge them for a normal return.

I just checked the irs website and it doesn't look as though they done any updates at all to send "Stimulus Return" in the efile. And there didn't appear to be any other provisions made, yet, that would prevent them from being rejected. I plan to paper file until I see something official saying the IRS will accept efile of these returns.

If you read IR-2008-21 on the IRS web site , it gives a good idea of the procedure. Right now if you only list SS on the form, either 1040A or 1040, you have to paper file and write Stimulis Payment on top. You can't efile with all zero's on the return. I tried. If the return has any other entries such as interest, div's, wages, then as long as you show the SS on line 20a, it will be OK also. This you can efile. So, if you have a return with just SS on 20a, add $1 interest on line 8 and you can efile.

If you read IR-2008-21 on the IRS web site , it gives a good idea of the procedure. Right now if you only list SS on the form, either 1040A or 1040, you have to paper file and write Stimulis Payment on top. You can't efile with all zero's on the return. I tried. If the return has any other entries such as interest, div's, wages, then as long as you show the SS on line 20a, it will be OK also. This you can efile. So, if you have a return with just SS on 20a, add $1 interest on line 8 and you can efile.

That has worked for us. No muss, no fuss. And only the Federal need be submitted. E-filing eliminates the need for writing at the top of the form, as the information will enter their system.

Here is how I have done it. Click on the space next to "or year beginning" at the top of the return. Using your up & down arrows, first click up until the little box is in the empty space over the printing. Click on the left arrow a few spaces and print "Stimulus Return" in that area. I know it's not a very technical explanation, but it works.

AnnieR

https://support.atxinc.com/myatx/index.aspx

I don't know if I did this right. It's under latest news on the ATX support page

I found this...

"For now, taxpayers in this group filing a tax return can only file a paper copy of the Form 1040 or Form 1040A. The IRS is working to update its systems to accept electronic versions of these limited-information returns for taxpayers who otherwise have no need to file a tax return. The IRS is also working with the software community to handle these returns electronically at a future date."

This makes no sense. If a taxpayer has $16K in SS, and 12K of other income, whether it is interest, dividends, or K1, the tax is still $0. Is this a "limited information" return? So, if I e-file a return like this, the system cannot process it. If, however, a person puts the numbers (at the IRS) in from a paper return, it will process it? I guess the source of my confusion is expecting logic and common sense fromt the IRS.

Seems the IRS may have made a requirement they are not ready to support.

I found this...

"For now, taxpayers in this group filing a tax return can only file a paper copy of the Form 1040 or Form 1040A. The IRS is working to update its systems to accept electronic versions of these limited-information returns for taxpayers who otherwise have no need to file a tax return. The IRS is also working with the software community to handle these returns electronically at a future date."

This makes no sense. If a taxpayer has $16K in SS, and 12K of other income, whether it is interest, dividends, or K1, the tax is still $0. Is this a "limited information" return? So, if I e-file a return like this, the system cannot process it. If, however, a person puts the numbers (at the IRS) in from a paper return, it will process it? I guess the source of my confusion is expecting logic and common sense fromt the IRS.

Seems the IRS may have made a requirement they are not ready to support.

I do not think a filer in the sutuation you describe falls into this category....I believe they are referring to people whos only source of income is non-taxable Social security.

I have e-filed several returns for clients similar to the one you describe....all accepted with no problems