ATX Community

2014 Amended Return Question

LFR

Have a client that we efiled for but just came to us with a note they contributed to an IRA (deductible).  They owed on original return but haven't mailed in payment.  With the IRA, they will receive a refund.  Do they have to mail in payment or can we just file amended but leave blank 'amount paid with original return.'

can we just file amended but leave blank 'amount paid with original return.'

That's what I would do, but others will say mail it before April 15 and write in something across the top and it'll count as original. Sorry, search didn't turn up the thread I wanted. It was by mcb39 about the new 3115 regs, I think.

I personally would do the 1040-X, if nothing else, so the client realizes it's a PITA to be changing things now.

Edited by RitaB
  • Like 3

Superceding an earlier filing was discussed in >this topic, but MaxW pointed out that it really doesn't apply to 1040s, although KC said she'd used this technique without issues in the past. 

Personally, I'd file the 1040X with -0- entered as paid with the original return, just as the OP asked.

Edited by jklcpa
added link to other topic
  • Like 3

Have a client that we efiled for but just came to us with a note they contributed to an IRA (deductible).  They owed on original return but haven't mailed in payment.  With the IRA, they will receive a refund.  Do they have to mail in payment or can we just file amended but leave blank 'amount paid with original return.'

When a client owes, I always suggest to open an IRA maybe you should do the same.