ATX Community

ATX software lagging

JJStephens

For the past two weeks I've been having trouble with my ATX software lagging every once in a while (like once every 5-10 minutes). I'll make an entry and it sits and thinks about it for 5-30 seconds before moving to the next field. Sometimes the whole program grays out--that usually lasts at least 30 seconds. It doesn't happen with any other software. My updates are up to date.

It has also started occasionally modifying text entries for me. I'll start entering some text (a name or address for example). About half way through the entry it arbitrarily drops all but one letter as I continue typing. There is no indication it is happening except when I look at the entry and see 4 or 5 characters where there should be 20. I now have to proof everything even more closely than before.

Any one else having any trouble lately? Any thoughts about what to try? My guess is that a recent update got cobbled up in the download process but I thought I'd see if anyone else is experiencing these anomalies.

Am SSD doesn't make ATX any faster but you'll have less problems.

Keep Task Manager open (Ctrl+Shift+Esc) and when it lags, see if your disk activity is at 100%. Win7 doesn't show this but Win8 does. Regardless, try disabling Superfetch and BITS (Background Intelligent Transfer Service).

Here's a video on how to fix 100% disk usage.

• Like 1

The issue with the software "dropping the letters" may have something to do with auto save.  I have noticed this happening also - more so when I am working from home through GoToMyPC.com to my computer at work.  The built in lag time with that scenario does catch me off guard when the auto save kicks in and eliminates the entry I am working on.  I have learned to just watch closer for that.

I had a similar problem with an anti-virus program doing some kind of background downloads or something. The computer would just slow to a crawl until it finished. Maybe something like that is happening on your system. On my new computer (quad-core with SSD) I haven't had any speed issues.

• Like 1

Thanks for all the great tips. I've checked all of them except the CPU & HDD load. One thing I noticed after my original post is that many of the lags occur when I'm in a screen that requires a lot of text entry into a table.

All in all, I've noticed that it is taking about 50% longer to do a return that it did 5 years ago. ATX's data entry has become more cumbersome and the program just seem to run as quickly as before.

Mine lags when my CPU or memory usage is high.  Happens either when some update or something is running in the background or ATX is bleeding memory.  If the latter, I'll shut down & restart the program or reboot the computer.  If the former, get on the iPad & wait for what ever is running to finish or look for what it is and shut that down.

i hate the autosave thing & cursor.