ATX Community

Windows 10

Abby Normal

I have 7 and my husband 8.  I HATE 8.  I think 7 is easier to  use.  Things I do in one step in 7 takes 2 steps in 8.   Unless you have a touch screen or spend a lot of time on a tablet that has icons 8 is a pain in the but so if 10 is just a upgrade from 8 KEEP IT

​I have 7 at home and 8 at work. I HATE 7. I think 8 is easier to use. Things I do easily in 8 I struggle with in 7. I look forward to all the new features in 10.

I have 7 and my husband 8.  I HATE 8.  I think 7 is easier to  use.  Things I do in one step in 7 takes 2 steps in 8.   Unless you have a touch screen or spend a lot of time on a tablet that has icons 8 is a pain in the but so if 10 is just a upgrade from 8 KEEP IT

​There are things in 8 that I prefer not to use, so I pretend they don't exist... but for the most part, the stuff that's in 7 is also in 8. Once I have my applications open, there is zero difference.  My frequently-used applications are still pinned across the bottom, but also pinned on the start screen, which I rarely need to use.  Here's a screenshot of my 8.1 desktop.

If you can give examples of specific things you find more difficult, I might be able to suggest an easier/faster approach. 

• Like 2

My main machine & main laptop are both Win7 but I have a laptop and a tablet with 8.1. I don't care for Win8 tiles so I use a Win7 shell--after it loads I can't tell the difference performance-wise.

​8.1 has an option to send you directly to the desktop and bypass the start screen when the computer boots. 

I see the Start Screen as an alternative to having shortcuts on your desktop, with the added benefit of being able to type a few letters of the name of a file/application on your computer and having it quickly found.  Hit enter to open/execute it.  I find it a lot faster than Start > All Programs > Scroll through folders > Click folder > Click shortcut but to each their own.  This is essentially the same way I used the Start Menu in Windows 7, though, because it also had a search bar built in. Not the same computer I was on yesterday, but here's another screenshot.

It's just a full screen start menu.  It's got shortcuts for launching applications.  Visually, it's different.  Functionally it's similar, except for the All Programs area, which I don't care for in Windows 7 OR Windows 8 because it's a mess of everything installed on your computer and cumbersome to find anything... hence my preference for using the quick search features in both operating systems.

• Like 1

Also from the start screen, you can page down and get all apps listed.  First listed by Alpha letter, then scroll right and listed by app company.  You can organize from drop down arrow at top by Name, Dated Installed, Most Used and Category.  I simply use touch to scroll down, but you can click on the down arrow.  See Eric's screen at lower left.  To me, this just beats W7 all over.

• Like 1

It is human nature to resist change.  Especially as you get older, and have seen a lot of "new, better" products turn out to be not better, at least now until the second or third or fourth try.  

​Yep. Never install version 1.0 or x.0. Never install current year QuickBooks until May. Let others be the Guinea Pigs. We've got work to do!

• Like 3

Here is a new feature of questionable value:

(How To Geek) Microsoft says Windows 10 will be “always up-to-date,” and they mean it. There’s no way to turn Windows Update off. Microsoft says feature updates will be tested on consumer devices before they’re rolled out to business PC

How do they plan to differentiate between a business computer and a home computer, just based on whether you're running home or pro version?

I usually update my computers within a week of when updates are released. I install security updates sooner, sometimes.

Edited by kcjenkins