ATX Community

Windows 10

Abby Normal

My son is one of those tech minded people whoi likes to download the earlybird new versions of Windows.

He's already downloaded Win10 and started exploring it.

I'm with Catherine and cbslee and not willing to move to new OS until the majority of glitches are removed beforehand.

No Win8 or 8.1 for me.

I'll post in a while what my son sees as positives and negatives for win10 and our ATX software.

In the meantime, do any of you have experience running ATX programs on WIn7 Pro Platform that is installed on a VM ware station?

• Like 3

If you're primarily worried about bugs and glitches, then you don't have much to worry about in Windows 8.1 or 10.  Windows 7, 8, and 10 are all incremental updates to Windows Vista. 

Vista was the buggy release, the last big platform change after Windows XP.  Performance/stability has only improved since then, starting with Windows 7, getting better in 8, and presumably better again in 10.

If you're worried about the touch-optimized interface, well, I think you're screwed.  You'll have to learn to use it or learn to avoid it at some point, and whether you figure it out in Windows 8 or Windows 10 doesn't really matter much.  The harsh reality is that touch devices are killing PC sales, and Microsoft is in the business of staying in business.

• Like 3

Eric,  I've always been leery of upgrading on my existing system.  I haven't done it since going from 95 to 98 on the same machine.  Since then, I've gotten the new os with a new machine.  I did go from 8 to 8.1 on my laptop.  I just got my latest pc last year with 8.1.  Do you see any problem with getting the free upgrage to 10 on the same machine?

• Like 1

Win 8.1 is actually less buggy than 7, plus it's feature rich and easier to use. I don't rush in and change immediately. I like to lag a bit with any new technology, but win 8 came out in 2012, almost three years ago. And with 10 coming out next month, 7 is getting to be quite old.

The newer operating systems are more secure and more user friendly. I know because I cuss the one win7 machine I have at home, every time I need to work on it.

I will likely test 10 this fall on my one part-time workstation to test ATX, QuickBooks, etc., and if successful, move to 10 before next tax season.

One plus is that I can help my clients with XP thru 8.1, and soon, 10.

• Like 1

Eric,  I've always been leery of upgrading on my existing system.  I haven't done it since going from 95 to 98 on the same machine.  Since then, I've gotten the new os with a new machine.  I did go from 8 to 8.1 on my laptop.  I just got my latest pc last year with 8.1.  Do you see any problem with getting the free upgrage to 10 on the same machine?

​I think you're right to be leery.

I haven't done a real upgrade since 3.11 to 95, which went very badly.  My current computer (or at least most of it) has seen Windows Vista, 7, 8, and 8.1.  All fresh installs except for 8.1, which I guess technically was an upgrade, but it was so minor it was more like just the usual Windows Update process.

I think that shows where Microsoft is headed with Windows releases... making them more minor instead of having huge monolithic overhauls once every 2 or 3 years.  The updates will be smaller, cheaper (sometimes free), less jarring, and less likely to go wrong--similar to how Apples does it with OSX.

As for a Windows 7 to 10 upgrade?  Idunno, personally I'd do a fresh install because skipping 8 and 8.1 seems like a bigger jump.  Windows is very complex software.  PCs are complex machines with near infinite combinations of parts and drivers.  Lots there to go wrong... I don't know if I'd risk it unless you had a backup ready for a fresh install first.

Is the user interface for 10 going to look and act like the user interface for 8.0?

​Somewhat, but not exactly.  They've changed the Start Menu.  It was full screen in Windows 8, but in Windows 10 it's like a cross between 7 and 8, and not full-screen.

Windows 8 has a bunch of settings and stuff that are all touch optimized.. things like changing wallpaper, networking, and other control panel functions.  But the Windows 7 Control Panel is still there if you know how to get at it.  I still use the oldschool control panel for everything... can't stand most of the new settings stuff.  Windows 10 refines a bunch of those things, so I'm willing to take another look and see if it's grown on me at all.  But I'm guessing for anything more complicated than connecting to Wifi, I'll be back to the old control panel.

So in that sense, once you adjust to finding the Windows 7 style control panel, and adjust to a few other things, it should mostly be business as usual, but with a bunch of new features to explore.  Unified notification area, new views for currently running programs, stuff like that.

Edited by Eric
  • Like 1

I remember how much I hated the change from MS-DOS to Windows.  It took me forever to get used to Icons instead of .bat files.  For a long time, I would go into the DOS emulator instead of actually using Windows.  Now I would not want to go back even if I could.  Sooner or later, I will get on board for touch screen pc's. 

• Like 1

Won't Windows 10 have the option to go all desktop or all tiles on your start screen?  I thought I read that somewhere.  As for the touch screen, I first got it with my laptop.  Obviously, a smaller and closer device.  But I have a touch monitor with my desktop.  My work station setup allows me to sit close and place the monitor close to the near edge of the workstation top with a pull out shelf for my keyboard and a smaller pullout shelf to the right for my mouse.  The touch is very handy in a lot of ways.  My 2nd monitor to the right of my touch monitor is not touch but I may want to get a touch monitor for my 2nd monitor eventually.

Won't Windows 10 have the option to go all desktop or all tiles on your start screen? 

The touch is very handy in a lot of ways.  My 2nd monitor to the right of my touch monitor is not touch but I may want to get a touch monitor for my 2nd monitor eventually.

​The start menu will replace the start screen in 10 but you can change that setting.

Touch screen monitors are more expensive. Which ones did you buy?

I have enough to do with my hands with keyboard, calculator, paper control (even in a paperless office!).  Plus the issue of replacing monitors that are too far away for comfortable touching distance.  I will leave the touchscreen to my tablet, thank you very much.  

And I just made the switch to Windows 7 a couple of years ago; it's still a half-decade too early to be thinking of another upgrade!

• Like 8

I asked the guy who builds my computers about this.  He said to agree to be on the list for a free code to reduce annoying reminders but don't install. "In 2021 maybe maybe maybe then we will load it.  One should NEVER upgrade a perfectly fine, working PC."  I have 7 Pro and always follow his guidance.  He hasn't led me astray yet!

• Like 4

I've never been a first day bandwagon person, but have usually been a relatively early adopter of new soft & hard technology. Frankly, I've never had any upgrade issues.

I'm fairly tech savvy (until recently, I built a lot of my own machines from parts) and do my homework and plan my process. Based on my research, I chose to not do Vista nor did I downgrade to Win8 (though 8.1 did come on a machine I bought; I'm not thrilled with it but I've learned to live with it).

For Win10 I will probably wait until late August before upgrading one of my non-critical laptops. After I play with it for a couple weeks and get the hang of it--and, of course, assuming all goes well-- I'll go ahead and move the rest of my machines over.

• Like 1

I asked the guy who builds my computers about this.  He said to agree to be on the list for a free code to reduce annoying reminders but don't install. "In 2021 maybe maybe maybe then we will load it.  One should NEVER upgrade a perfectly fine, working PC."  I have 7 Pro and always follow his guidance.  He hasn't led me astray yet!

​If you have win7 your computer is at least a couple years old now. I never plan on more than 3-5 years from a computer, and it doesn't make sense to put an outdated OS on a new computer.

Yes, my computer is a few years old now but has been upgraded with memory and tweaked.  Doug, my guy, has already said that I probably have about another year, maybe 2, left on it.  I/we are holding off because I am downsizing looking at retirement just not sure when.  I do expect one more computer.

His comment is related to upgrading Windows, not the entire computer, in case you thought that.  He's saying the same thing - no new OS on an old computer.  And he is joking about the 2021 year.  He likes to exaggerate at times.

• Like 3

​If you have win7 your computer is at least a couple years old now. I never plan on more than 3-5 years from a computer, and it doesn't make sense to put an outdated OS on a new computer.

​Actually, you can can go to many websites today, including Dell, and buy a very powerful Win 7 Pro 64 bit system.

If I was buying a system this year it is what I would buy. Microsoft has committed to supporting Win 7 until 2020.

• Like 5

Just to clarify ( as I am at times a dunderhead) --- Win 7 can be taken to win 10 without going through any of the 8's --- yes - no???

Will there be "driver" changes for existing hardware?  In earlier "upgrades" sometimes old equipment would not function.

Any idea if win 10 will PROPERLY run ATX (pass and future editions) especially 2014 an upcoming 2015?

Thanks in advance.