ATX Community

Forgiven Income If Not Reported

MsTabbyKats

I know there is a certain per centage or amount of income that doesn't get one "in trouble if not reported". (I don't think I dreamed this.)

I'm taking specifically about interest income.

If someone has an AGI of about $150K.....what would this amount be?

Would $50 interest/$13 tax be too insignificant to worry about?

I'm probably not clear.

Client is not hiding income.   She just found out about a bank account that generates $50/income year....and the statements were going to an estranged relative's home.

So far I never had a client receive a letter from the IRS saying they failed to report such a small amount.

I know that I've seen somewhere....that the IRS allows some small amount to be "omitted".

I can't find anything in writing...but I know I saw this (years ago).

I know that I saw just the other day that those are the amounts that are considered as small enough that you don't need to have an 8829 re-signed if you make a change on a return.  So they probably will not generate a letter.  BUT if a letter is generated for any other reason, they will be added to the changes.  I too, would probably correct it going forward, and otherwise ignore it unless the IRS brings it up.

• Like 2

I believe the amount may be $49 of tax, not taxable income where they may just let it go.   Years ago (maybe 30+) I was audited and it turned out that IRS owed me $35.  Auditor said since amount is under $50 they don't pay and would be same vice versa.  

Edited by FDNY
explanation
  • Like 1