ATX Community

Taxwise similar to ATX?

Naveen Mohan from New York

So, my assistant is paying for and taking the HRB tax course on her own in order to increase her tax prep knowledge.  Is the fact that she will be using TaxWise, going to mess her up when she is working with me on ATX?  (Incidentally, her first class was last week and they sent everyone home because the software was not ready)!

So, my assistant is paying for and taking the HRB tax course on her own in order to increase her tax prep knowledge.  Is the fact that she will be using TaxWise, going to mess her up when she is working with me on ATX?  (Incidentally, her first class was last week and they sent everyone home because the software was not ready)!

The two programs are not similar at all.  Learning curve ahead.

How is she taking the HRB course without having to work for them?  Inquiring minds want to know...

The HRB software is their own proprietary software, so differs from all others.  People are often most comfortable on their first software.  So, if you have been using ATX, then using Taxwise will be a new experience but shouldn't created much confusion back in your office with ATX.  And, if your assistant is already knowledgeable in ATX, then using HRB's software during a course shouldn't make her less efficient back at your office with ATX.  However, if going back and forth, I'm sure there will be some confusion, sometimes on autopilot reaching for a Save key in a different place or trying to go to a worksheet that's in the "other" software.  I have trouble going from my keyboard to my laptop to a client's desktop where the "reach" is different to reach a function key or whatever.

• Like 1

The two programs are not similar at all.  Learning curve ahead.

How is she taking the HRB course without having to work for them?  Inquiring minds want to know...

She told them up front that she was not going to be working for them, but wanted to have more tax preparation knowledge.  As I said, she is paying to take the course.

The HRB software is their own proprietary software, so differs from all others.  People are often most comfortable on their first software.  So, if you have been using ATX, then using Taxwise will be a new experience but shouldn't created much confusion back in your office with ATX.  And, if your assistant is already knowledgeable in ATX, then using HRB's software during a course shouldn't make her less efficient back at your office with ATX.  However, if going back and forth, I'm sure there will be some confusion, sometimes on autopilot reaching for a Save key in a different place or trying to go to a worksheet that's in the "other" software.  I have trouble going from my keyboard to my laptop to a client's desktop where the "reach" is different to reach a function key or whatever.

Thanks Rita.  I am sure she will do just fine.  She is somewhat familiar with ATX, but is very confident that she needs to know more about tax prep in general in order to be more help to me.  She will also attend the seminars with me.  The biggest factor here is her sincere desire to learn.  Last year she did all the busy stuff, but she WANTS to know how to prepare tax returns with software and feel sure of herself when she is doing it.  We are very much of like minds.  In fact, she is my first cousin and in May, she had breast cancer surgery exactly one month to the day before I had mine.  How ironic is that?

I think anyone can take the HRB course if they pay for it.  They then hire the ones that do the best in the course.

She told them up front that she was not going to be working for them, but wanted to have more tax preparation knowledge.  As I said, she is paying to take the course.

This is not what HRB told us (wanting training for my wife) here in Ohio.  No commitment to work, no class, even if we paid.

This is not what HRB told us (wanting training for my wife) here in Ohio.  No commitment to work, no class, even if we paid.

That's odd, because she has not had to sign or commit to anything.  I have no doubt they will put the pressure on when she does well.  When she went to class last week, there were several students there that were already or would be working for other accountants.  There were also students who wanted the knowledge to keep abreast of things for their own businesses.