ATX Community

Yikes! Data has gone AWOL

JJStephens

I started a return back in August--entered all the data I had. However, client mentioned farm rental income so everything got put on hold. Just started to work on the return again. It's empty. Nothing there.

Anyone else ever experience this? Better yet, anyone have any idea what happened and if it's a loss? I don't think it's a failure to save issue. I'm set to auto-save every five minutes and I'm stickler for frequent saves.

I've used ATX most of the last 20+ years and have never seen/heard anything like it.

This is one of the reasons that I have a jump drive on board whenever I am working on a tax return.  I export the return to the jump drive any time I make any major changes and, of course, when it is finished.  This also allows you to import any return into the program on another computer for whatever reason.

• Like 1

This is one of the reasons that I have a jump drive on board whenever I am working on a tax return.  I export the return to the jump drive any time I make any major changes and, of course, when it is finished.  This also allows you to import any return into the program on another computer for whatever reason.

Closing a return creates a backup in:

C:\ProgramData\CCH Small Firm Services\ATX 2014 Server\ATX 2014 Backup

I Ctrl+s almost every time before I jump to another form. I have autosave turned off, in case I screw something up or if I'm just doing "what ifs" in the data file.

• Like 1

Aarrghhh! It just happened again. I was working on a return for about 30 minutes. Had to step away for a few minutes. When I came back I had a message saying ATX was not able to connect to the server (I've gotten that a lot over the last couple years) and asked if I wanted to retry or cancel. I clicked retry and the program closed. Lost the whole thing.

I'm normally pretty serious about frequent saves but I was so intense on this one that I don't recall having clicked the save icon. My bad.

So auto-save hasn't worked since 2011. I didn't know that.

Well, I guess I'm only at risk for another 10-15 extensions. I've already purchased Drake for next year. I used to love ATX. That seems like a long time ago.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Quick update on this.

The problem continued to happen and even got worse. I wrapped up a return last night, saved it and closed ATX. When I opened ATX this morning the return was blank.

I called ATX support. It is apparently a known issue following 14.7 updates. She renamed a hidden file deep in my Windows folder forcing ATX to recreate that file. She said that would take care of it. I asked what specifically was wrong. All she would say is, "It's just a file that got corrupted. We made it create a new file so that should take care of it." I tried to press but that's all I got out of her. So far, I'm half way through re-entering the data and it appears to be working ok.

By the way, when I first called she asked if I had upgraded to Win10. When I said no she replied with an enthusiastic, "Good!" Makes me wonder if Win10 isn't playing nicely with ATX software.

• Like 2