ATX Community

Last minute filers

SaraEA

I had the MOST amazingly inconsiderate client call.

4:20AM.  Two calls (with messages) to my business line at my office.  One call (with a long, rambling message) to my HOUSE PHONE (how this nitwit got that is anyone's guess, I surely did NOT give it to her!) also at 4:20AM.  Then two MORE calls; one at my home office phone (please note NOT my house phone), the other at my regular office, at 9:28AM.  All this morning.  

Believe it or not they were thank you calls for sending her some info on whatever...  with a notation that she waited until after 10/15 so I wouldn't be so busy (yeah; four and a half hours after).  

Then she called AGAIN at 11:15AM and this time I took the call.  Told her I was very glad that the information was helpful, but that calls at 4:20AM are not now and will NEVER be acceptable, to ANY of my phone lines but most especially to the house line.  That she woke up the whole family and if it happens again, she will NOT be a client of mine from that point forward.  

Her lame excuse?  "I thought it was 4:30PM."  Yeah; right.  If she is that crazy she belongs in an institution.

• Like 6

I learned a new trick this year (by accident).  I had to be away Oct 11-14 at a conference.  So early on, I began telling people my last work day would be Oct 9.  If they didn't have everything to me in time for me to COMPLETE it by the 9th, they would need to find someone else to do the work or else plan on it being late-filed. One person called to say they would have their info to me on the 9th, but I told them that wouldn't be soon enough.(I didn't bother to tell them I actually planned on working on Saturday the 10th, but that's our little secret.)

Amazing how people found their stuff and got it to me early enough to complete it before the 9th. So when I returned to the office on the 15th, I spent the day double-checking to be sure a few key people had mailed in their returns and taking care of other administrative details.

From now on, I'm going to schedule something the second week of October every year. It sure tamps down the stress.

If I were you, I'd immediately sign up for MyFico credit monitoring service. They have several levels - I'd sign up for the highest level.  It will notify you of any unusual activity and you can pull your credit reports as well. (some will say just getting the free annual credit report is good enough, but I strongly disagree.  I think the free annual credit report is worse than worthless, but that's another conversation).  Getting regular reports that nothing has changed, plus updates if there is any activity using your identify, is well worth the peace of mind. This is doubly true when you suspect your identity may have been compromised.

• Like 2

If my home phone rings at 4:20 AM it is an emergency.  It was either an emergency when the caller dialed or it is going to be an emergency after I answer.  Either way, it will be an emergency.  You have shown great restraint.  I expected to read a story involving a gun. :)

I did expect an emergency - and we have had upheaval lately; my mother-in-law just passed on about two weeks ago - so I jumped up and grabbed the phone.  Caller ID showed the client's name and I refused to answer it at that point because I did NOT trust my temper not to verbally rip her a new one right then and there.  

No guns unless my life is threatened - this stupid state will take ANY excuse for trying to take them away from me.  Unlike Texas, we don't have a "he needed killing" as a valid defense.  :P

• Like 4

Some time back, probably when the Anthem hack occurred, we put a freeze with the three credit agencies.  I transmitted the state returns; waiting to see if they get accepted.  Talking with tech support, this theft happened AFTER 15 April when I e-filed our extensions and 15 October 2015.

When I know if I'll have to mail the states, I'll mail our federal.  I filled out the Form 14039 and Form 8948 and copied my driver's license and Social Security card.  Anything else I should include with the mailed return?  Do I need a police report? 

Lion, you don't need to file the police report with the return, just the 14039 and form showing why you didn't efile.  Of the dozen or so clients we efiled in the last couple of days,THREE were rejected as duplicates.  Like you, all of them efiled extensions on April 15 that went through just fine, so the theft occurred between April 15 and Oct 15.  That puzzles me.  I thought the crooks filed like in January to be sure they got in before the real taxpayer.

One of our rejects was the state return only.  We've had a lot of that this year. The thieves know the IRS is getting better at detecting fraud, so they are just filing states.  I haven't tried suppressing the federal returns on the others and just filing the states to see if they go through.  Will try that Monday.  You will not be considered late if your return was efiled and rejected.  You have 5 days or something like that to get it filed.

Related to the original topic, had a client walk in TODAY with her tax stuff.  And related to this divergence from topic, a visit from another scared old lady who got a call from the IRS threatening to sue her if she didn't pay over $3 grand. I'm so glad she chose to check with us before she paid.

• Like 2

There was a real run on fraudulent CT returns this year.  CT did jump on that and started sending out letters asking for information when they had suspicions.  I did get the CT and IL acknowledgements back this afternoon.  Happy for that since we owe CT and were doing direct debit.  Didn't want the payment to be very late.

The state returns were never rejected, just not submitted when the federal was rejected.  So, aren't the states late since I didn't retry before midnight?  And, isn't my direct debit a day late?  I'll make hubby stand in line at the PO on Monday to get our return weighed and mailed with a check.  That payment will be late also.  Or not late, since return was rejected?  It's not as big as the one to CT.  So glad I always have us owing at least a little, so we're not waiting on our refunds.  (IL is a tiny refund, but applying it to ES anyway.)

• Like 1

I know I hijacked this thread.  I'm sorry.  But, I'm so grateful for all of you as I navigate my first ID theft.

IP PIN:  I've heard of the PIN that the IRS mails you before each season starts, different PIN each year.  And, I've heard some of you talk about going online to get your own PIN (permanent?) that's a trial in FL, GA, DC maybe, a few states.  Which one do I need?  And, if the mailed PIN, does that result from the 14039 or do I fill out something else to get a PIN mailed to me?

CCH told me to call (had announcements with phone #s right on the Reject when I clicked on it for more information) both the IRS and SSA.  I tried calling, but the hold times were about an hour, so haven't talked to anyone yet.  Is there anything I need to do via telephone?  What info do I need to give SSA?  Do they have specific forms?

I had my own return finished, but I always like a final look over before hitting the button. One of my perennial late filers got caught  on I-80 on the wrong side of an accident that closed the freeway for over 10 hours. She found a way around and I got her filed around 9pm.  Got a couple 8879s in TODAY that had been mailed from Oakland on the 14th.  This is someone under the age of 30. Snail mail, really?  Why not just take a damn picture with your cell and text it to me like some of my much older clients will?

• Like 3

Snail mail, really?  Why not just take a damn picture with your cell and text it to me like some of my much older clients will?

Maybe they did not know that you prefer email?  Or, more likely, they thought that you needed their actual, physical signatures.  After all, many 'official' documents still have that requirement.