ATX Community

Latest forum update

Eric

Alright, the latest forum update is finished, and you'll probably notice the change in the navigation at the top.  If you're looking for unread topics and things like that, check out the Activity tab.  All of that has been consolidated into a more powerful "Activity Streams" feature.

There have been some changes to the editor too.  Quoting selected text is a big one. 

There are a pile of other changes, so post here to me know if you have any questions.

If you notice any weirdness immediately after the upgrade (specifically, the editor buttons have the wrong icons), make sure to clear your browser cache.  

In Chrome

1. click the "Hamburger" icon at the top-right
  2. choose Settings
  3. click History on the left side
  4. click Clear browsing data... button
  5. uncheck everything but Cached images and files
  6. click Clear browsing data button

In other browsers

• Like 1

11 hours ago, jklcpa said:

As far as editing, I've had trouble editing since the last upgrade because of a red paragraph break that would appear. That seems to be gone now, at least I hope it is.

Yes, that red line is gone now.  When editing your post, quotes can be reliably clicked/dragged to move them around.  When you hover over a quote, you'll see a little 4-arrow handle appear in the top-left corner of the quote. 

The editor has changed quite a bit under the hood; it feels less flaky, and is much faster to load.  There used to be a bit of lag when adding a reply while waiting for the editor to load, and now it should be almost instantaneous.  The difference is even more noticeable on mobile devices.

I really like being able to highlight some text in a post, and quote it directly from there.

Member mentions have been added... just type @ and follow with a few characters of a member name.  Example: Thank you @JohnH for another donation ^_^

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, JohnH said:

And thank you @Eric for your attention to this valuable resource &  all you continue to do to improve it.

Holy smokes, that feature is magical.  I allowed Chrome to show notifications for the site, and I got an immediate browser popup (bottom-right corner) when you mentioned my name.  I'm not sure what the browser support is for notifications like that, though.  I'd be curios to know if Firefox and IE users got a prompt for whether to Allow or Block notifications from the site.

24 minutes ago, Eric said:

Holy smokes, that feature is magical.  I allowed Chrome to show notifications for the site, and I got an immediate browser popup (bottom-right corner) when you mentioned my name.  I'm not sure what the browser support is for notifications like that, though.  I'd be curios to know if Firefox and IE users got a prompt for whether to Allow or Block notifications from the site.

Would these come through if I didn't have a tab opened up to the site or only if one mentions my name?  I received a popup in the upper left at the address bar after the upgrade asking if I wanted to receive the notifications. I declined it initially after seeing other FF users say that it was annoying, but I could see that it might be helpful to turn it on.

@Eric , lemme know.

I can't figure out how to turn it back on now. lol  Will have to work on that.  ETA - Looks like that is an add-on in Firefox and that would probably be annoying as the forum gets busier over the coming months. I'm on frequently enough so I'm skipping that for now.

Edited by jklcpa

I didn't see a notification, but as soon as I closed the tab, I promptly forgot about it, haha.  I do believe that it should work without the tab open, though, and it should work in Chrome on Desktop and Android devices.  I imagine Firefox's implementation is similar. 

I found how to change my settings back to allow the desktop notifications.
For anyone else using Firefox that is interested: to turn these on or off, or to see the settings for any of the plug-ins for a particular site, right click on a blank section of the page and choose "view page info" and then select "permissions" at the top. Scroll down to see the selections with this one being under "show notifications".

On 11/9/2015, 10:46:23, Eric said:

Silk on kindle fire asked