ATX Community

Last Year's Comparison Tool

Chowdahead

I've been using ATX for 13 years and I like to use the feature under Tools>Last Year's Comparison, which helps me compare my client's last year numbers to this year, and they are always interested in the changes.

However, for state numbers from the previous year (i.e. refund, credits, etc) I always have to go into last year's program regardless so it kind of defeats the purpose.  Is there a way to compare to last year's state return in a similar fashion?

Speaking of state refund, is there a way to get the state refund amounts to show up in the top-right corner along with the federal refund?

Hmmm, I'm about to learn something new, I think.  I tried a couple of returns in 2014 and 2015 to see about this Tools>Last Year's Comparison you mention.  I couldn't find that but am hoping to learn.  I've always used the form Planner which lists the current year and allows future planning but it would be nice to see in the current program the figures from the prior year.

On all my returns, I include the form Tax Summary 1040.  It shows the summary for federal and all states in the return as well as any carryover amounts.  When I click on that box in the upper right, it shows federal and state on the summary.  But one does have to click on it.  An extra keystroke, alas!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, TAXMAN said:

Yes, Would be handy to have state also. I normally put this page right in behind the client letter or on top of the cover sheet. What is you practice. Clients like to see that info.

Yes! That is what I did when I was with ATX, and use the similar pages provided by my current software. Most of the clients don't want to go over the returns, or maybe a specific item's handling if it is a one-time reportable event. Most of them appreciate having an overview of the return using only the summary and comparison pages. I do go over the 2 pages of the DE returns since many of my clients are seniors with the extra deductions and credits that my state allows them.

• Like 1