ATX Community

W-2 for SSA - problem

Catherine

I have a client who has household employees (nanny x2).  No problem with first employee but second one - who started late in the year - did NOT work as many hours as had been anticipated so her wages were under $1900 for the year (by just over a hundred bucks).  However -- we had been withholding socsec and medi tax anticipating that she *would* have wages over $1900.  Can't pass the Accu-Wage testing due to those withheld taxes.  Also can't enter W-2 info on the SSA site; same issue.

What to do?  Put in $0 socsec/medi wages and taxes for her and have the client pay her the withheld amounts?  Or is there something else?

7 minutes ago, Abby Normal said:

I think you have to do taxes on both employees.

See item B:

https://www.irs.gov/publications/p926/ar02.html#en_US_2016_publink100086732

Well, exactly.  There are two employees.  One earned well over $10K; the other just under the $1900 limit.  I am getting errors through AccuWage *and* the SSA online entry system both, because of this $1800-wage-earner.  So what can I do to file these &^%$# W-2's?

Lets address the earnings issue. Is the $1900.00 rule per employee. So that if one was over and the other one not over we only owe SS and MT on the one that is over. But lets look at b giving that one may meet the $1000 rule. So does this mean that we owe everything on everybody?

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, TAXMAN said:

Lets address the earnings issue. Is the $1900.00 rule per employee. So that if one was over and the other one not over we only owe SS and MT on the one that is over. But lets look at b giving that one may meet the $1000 rule. So does this mean that we owe everything on everybody?

Exactly.  My reading of the IRS rules is that if one employee met the test, you owe on all.  (Plus we had the whole issue of she would have been easily over the $1900 had she not been out sick for two weeks.)  

• Like 2