ATX Community

Where is IRS??

RitaB

8 minutes ago, mcb39 said:

Want me to send her to Tennessee? 

Yeah, about two miles from my office, I can hook her right up with a doozy.  Give her something worthwhile to do.  15,000 miles on 500 tax returns would make a dent in the national debt.  And there's no telling how much EIC is involved.  She gets a lot of likes on Facebook... 

• Like 4

I have one that has been here on and off for one client going on two years now.  It is one of those comprehensive audits where he is required to look at every line and justify the number.  Started off as a 2012 audit and the scope was broadened to include 2011 and 2013.  I will gladly send the auditor to Tennessee, Wisconsin, Timbuktu...........no wait, I live in Timbuktu, I don't want him there. I will gladly send him anywhere and I will even pay the transportation costs.  Any takers?

• Like 5

Rita, I hope you charged at least as much as the bad preparer.  If it were me, knowing the client had been alerted by her banker of the bad preparation, I would assure her that we will do things right going forward and charge her a bit more than the last guy.  And, quote her a bit more than the last guy charged for prep for me to amend his erroneous returns -- if she chooses.  And, I know some preparers that would charge her a "set-up" type fee for 2015 only to get her Schedule E and depreciation schedules set up right.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Lion EA said:

Rita, I hope you charged at least as much as the bad preparer.  If it were me, knowing the client had been alerted by her banker of the bad preparation, I would assure her that we will do things right going forward and charge her a bit more than the last guy.  And, quote her a bit more than the last guy charged for prep for me to amend his erroneous returns -- if she chooses.  And, I know some preparers that would charge her a "set-up" type fee for 2015 only to get her Schedule E and depreciation schedules set up right.

I charged her 275.  Previous "preparer" 150.  The returns are not remotely similar.  The other preparer made at least twice as much per hour as I did.  No, clients don't usually understand that.  She may when I show her.  She already has the lender's opinion after all.  :D

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, RitaB said:

I charged her 275.  Previous "preparer" 150.  The returns are not remotely similar.  The other preparer made at least twice as much per hour as I did.  No, clients don't usually understand that.  She may when I show her.  She already has the lender's opinion after all.  :D

Oh, and I she is married now.  Same preparer charged him 100 to miss his non-taxable retirement.  All he had was a 1099-R.  So they paid 250 for wrong returns and 275 for a correct return.  They'll be fine.  I do believe.

• Like 3

Rita,

You greatly underestimate your value and worth as a tax professional!  I had the same fears as you express before I made major increases in my price schedule starting with 2013 tax year.  My prices are now 33% higher than 2012.  Lost 3% of my clients, make 30% more income and retained 225 clients.  I have already gained 5 new clients for tax year 2015.  None of them batted an eye at my pricing structure. 

You are worth FAR MORE than you charge.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Jack from Ohio said:

Rita,

You greatly underestimate your value and worth as a tax professional!  I had the same fears as you express before I made major increases in my price schedule starting with 2013 tax year.  My prices are now 33% higher than 2012.  Lost 3% of my clients, make 30% more income and retained 225 clients.  I have already gained 5 new clients for tax year 2015.  None of them batted an eye at my pricing structure. 

You are worth FAR MORE than you charge.

Well, thank you for that vote of confidence.  Nah, I know I'm worth more.  But I would far rather undercharge than be perceived as someone who overcharges.  It's not all about money to me.   I did 385 returns last year.  I'm that person who has to make everybody happy.  I do get irritated when sloppy, corrupt, preparers get away with murder.  Also get irritated that we pay the salaries of people in government who waste our money like there's no tomorrow.  If all IRS is doing is writing checks, it's not ok.  But, apparently they are doing at least two audits this year and that one year when the phrase "tea par..." never mind.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, RitaB said:

Well, thank you for that vote of confidence.  Nah, I know I'm worth more.  But I would far rather undercharge than be perceived as someone who overcharges.  It's not all about money to me.   I did 385 returns last year.  I'm that person who has to make everybody happy.  I do get irritated when sloppy, corrupt, preparers get away with murder.  Also get irritated that we pay the salaries of people in government who waste our money like there's no tomorrow.  If all IRS is doing is writing checks, it's not ok.  But, apparently they are doing at least two audits this year and that one year when the phrase "tea par..." never mind.

We surely do think alike!  It's not all about money for me either, and I have said that many times.  Also, I know that I spend too much time with my clients, but they relish that personal touch.  It they are happy, I am happy.  Yes, ma'am this IRS audit has not made me a happy person.  Two full days in my office with a sixty mile round trip and no end in sight.  There is an IRS building about a mile down the road and she told me that one of the other auditors who lives in my neighborhood is upset because she got this audit instead of him.  You think?

• Like 3

14 hours ago, RitaB said:

Rita:

Please do not put two different issues together.  Really three different ones.

1. Sloppy, corrupt preparers.  There is only one thing you can do about them.  That is to report them.  You can also point out their failures or incompetence to other who will listen, and do the best job you can.

2. Paying the salaries of those who waste our money.  If you believe that the system is designed to catch the sloppy corrupt ones, it *IS*, but it takes a long time, and doesn't catch the randomly awful preparer.   In my perfect world, the IRS would get more dollars to fight and nab the real bad preparers and taxpayers who cheat outlandishly.  However, they will let $21B and rising, in fraud out the door and not put $500M in to fight it...  So, no perfect world for me.   

3. Your rates.  Your rates are your rates.  I can advocate for you to raise your rates, make more money and have more time to keep us all laughing here.  If you are happy, I leave you to your rates.  My rates are different, and I am happy.  I raise my rates every year.  Maybe not your choice, but that ok.  I have lots of friends as clients, and they pay me what I bill.  If they make another choice to go in a different direction, I can still be their friend.

Rich

• Like 6

If there was two changes to the system that would help, but congress is not going to do,  First instead of filling W2 with Social security first, file with IRS, or send to both places, and second hold all refunds until at least the W2's are in the system , and any EIC held until it could be checked out, and yes that is three

20 minutes ago, fredazcpa said:

If there was two changes to the system that would help, but congress is not going to do,  First instead of filling W2 with Social security first, file with IRS, or send to both places, and second hold all refunds until at least the W2's are in the system , and any EIC held until it could be checked out, and yes that is three

These will never happen.  The American public is addicted to the forced savings account of the IRS and the need to have that refund RIGHT AWAY!  If Congress changes those things, the ones responsible for voting to change it will not get re-elected.  Hence, it will never happen.  Reelection is much more important than billions in fraudulent refunds, and thousands of people having their identities compromises.

Until America is cured of these 2 addictions, tax fraud and identity theft will run rampant.

• Like 1