ATX Community

SSA-1099 one person got three

ljwalters

Never seen this before.  Client received 3 different SSA1099 in her name.

Situation:  Husband died Jan 2 2015,  wife received husbands final SS payment. Husband received  SSA1099 money in money out Box 5 None. Simple don't use this one.     Wife received 1099 for the amount she received and a separate one for the amount of husband. Both different amounts.

Then she applied for her X-husbands  SS Benefit which she qualified for.  The third SSA 1099 seems to be amount form X-husband

The three all came in clients (wife) SS# but box 8 Claim number are all different.

Do I just add up all the amounts and input into the program the totals?

22 hours ago, Terry D said:

Yes, but if your anal like me, I would create a statement to go with the return, or the client copy, that shows each SSA1099 and their respective amounts.

Yep, that's one of those situations where in 3 years when someone asks - you'll never remember how you came up with that number without scrambling. An easy statement in the return that takes 2 minutes to produce and you are good.

• Like 1

I keep a hard copy or every tax return and a hard copy of every document I used to prepare a return.  Also notes from conversations unless they are really stupid like, "Hey, my middle initial is B. I don't know why the W-2 has R." 

OK, I keep those notes, too.  Which may push me over the top for most anal preparer.  But I can grab a file and see what happened.  And it has paid off quite a bit over the years. 

I'd just copy the SSA-1099s and attach to my copy of the return.  I would put two on a page, and the other one with the note about "the last preparer wouldn't let me deduct my church contributions" on another page.  That way I also know to always do Schedule A and skip the explanation of why shy can't itemize.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, RitaB said:

I'd just copy the SSA-1099s and attach to my copy of the return.  I would put two on a page, and the other one with the note about "the last preparer wouldn't let me deduct my church contributions" on another page.  That way I also know to always do Schedule A and skip the explanation of why shy can't itemize.

Glad to hear that I'm not the only one to do that.  I never felt bad about charging for it if it made the client happy.  

10 minutes ago, kcjenkins said:

Glad to hear that I'm not the only one to do that.  I never felt bad about charging for it if it made the client happy.  

Well, I always come in under what the other preparer charged anyway, and it saves time for me.  I can prepare the Sch A quicker than I can explain standard deduction vs itemized to this particular type taxpayer.  Win / win.

• Like 3