ATX Community

education and tuition or llc

TAXMAN

Tp and spouse both working in private companies. They go take some religious classes to become ministers when retired(about 2 years). both received 1098-t for courses paid for but the boxes in 8 or 9 are NOT checked. I do not see how this could qualify as higher education allowable under either tuition and fees or the llc. Am I wrong?

As long as the educational institution is eligible to participate in a student aid program administered by the U.S. Department of Education I don't see why not

From Pub 970

Maximum credit Up to $2,000 credit per return
Limit on modified adjusted gross income (MAGI) $130,000 if married filling jointly;  
$65,000 if single, head of household, or qualifying widow(er)
Refundable or nonrefundable Nonrefundable—credit limited to the amount of tax you must pay on your taxable income
Number of years of postsecondary education Available for all years of postsecondary education and for courses to acquire or improve job skills
Number of tax years credit available Available for an unlimited number of tax years
Type of program required Student doesn't need to be pursuing a program leading to a degree or other recognized education credential
Number of courses Available for one or more courses
Felony drug conviction Felony drug convictions don't make the student ineligible
Qualified expenses Tuition and fees required for enrollment or attendance (including amounts required to be paid to the institution for course-related books, supplies, and equipment)
Payments for academic periods Payments made in 2015 for academic periods beginning in 2015 or beginning in the first 3 months of 2016
  • Like 1

Why not?  Education is education, in the government's eyes.  If they allow it for a kid at Brown University, taking their  "On Being Bored" class, why would these not qualify?  

http://dailycaller.com/2015/08/21/the-daily-caller-proudly-presents-the-dumbest-college-courses-for-2015/

http://www.onlineuniversities.com/blog/2009/10/100-hilarious-college-courses-that-really-exist/

16 hours ago, TAXMAN said:

My problem is that the school where they took these classes is not an accredited school. It is not on the so called list and according to the school personel they are not accredited. I thought this was one of the standards that had to be met.

Well, gee, that was a significant detail to leave out, don't you think?   Of course, given that fact, no education credit is available, no matter what the course was. 

• Like 4

They got a 1098T from a nonaccredited school???  Never heard of that before.  According to the instructions for the T, "You must file Form 1098-T if you are an eligible educational institution," defined as "a college, university, vocational school, or other postsecondary educational institution that is described in section 481 of the Higher Education Act of 1965 as in effect on August 5, 1997, and that is eligible to participate in the Department of Education's student aid programs."  Maybe this "school" is trying to look legit to nonsuspecting students?

• Like 3

To take either education credit, the school must be an eligible educational institution. From the IRS site (bold not mine):

An eligible educational institution is a school offering higher education beyond high school. It is any college, university, vocational school, or other post secondary educational institution eligible to participate in a student aid program run by the U.S. Department of Education.

This includes most accredited public, nonprofit and privately-owned–for-profit postsecondary institutions.

If you aren’t sure if your school is an eligible educational institution:

• Ask your school if it is an eligible educational institution, or
• See if your school is on the U.S. Federal Student Aid Code List

TIP: A small number of schools, not on this list, may be eligible educational institutions. So, you may need to ask the school.

• Like 2