ATX Community

speaking of letters - audits during tax season

WITAXLADY

so the auditor sets the date March 4th as late as he would extend as client lost first letter on dash of truck - and THEN son'e wife - new owner of business goes into labor and thank goodness has the baby that day.  - As due date is Mar 18th - the new date of Audit..  - when I asked why being audited - said they had a loss - -1,800 and they needed 1065's. I said they filed a Final amended , IRS did not have for 2013... 

great. 

First thing I said to auditor was never again - audits during tax season! Great way to start but this was impossible taking 4 hours out with taxes from Feb first weeks! Good to be busy 

And he did say he would see 30 days came in May. 

Anyone have luck putting an audit off during tax season? 

WI sales tax did the same thing in January - that was not so much the problem but now he wants to finalize it and his numbers are all wrong!!! They do not match anything - I sure wonder what they look at when they cannot even match what is filed!! I said we cannot possibly respond until May 5th - I do not want to see this report until April 5th. He goes - let the client handle - I said if it was $600  - let them pay but you have over $2,000 and will not let them correct the QB error for 9 months they did of putting the bids in and paying sales tax on and then the next month putting the invoice in when paid and paying again - only $100,000 difference. 

she had been doing her sales correctly for 3 years since she was last audited and then changed it to above - go figure!!! 

Gotta love 'em - they keep us in business or busy.... 

• Like 2

No luck here.  I have had an in-house audit going on for three scattered full days.  Total disruption of ordinary business.  This past Tues, she was here again.  Literally takes over audit; moves chairs around; puts her papers and stuff wherever she wants.  She is polite, but intimidating and we don't have time or room for this.  Next meeting will be at Federal building.  However, she assigns "look fors" to me and my assistant.  She is doing the audit, can't she look for things herself.  This has put a terrible crimp in my ongoing flow and has left me in the weeds as far as production goes.  Besides that, we both have terrible upper respitory something going on and are coughing our heads off.  If it weren't for several really sweet clients, I would be ready to throw  in the towel.

• Like 4

YOU are really too nice - I gave him a cardtable in my very small space on the hardest chair I could find and a busy butterfly plastic tablecloth - he was in a hurry to leave by 12:30 and finish later. 

but I still need a cite to say no! during tax season  - he said we could do it at their place - here I could at least answer questions... 

D

No way to avoid them, there is no rule against it, and they do audits year-round.   BUT, you do not have to let the auditor take over YOUR office, Marilyn .  You tell him/her where to set up, they have to respect your rights, so if the only space you can offer is cramped, the 'desk' is a wobbly table in a corner with a folding chair, etc, that's what they have to use.   

• Like 4

I try to make auditors as comfortable as possible.  I have found that if you are nice to them, they usually tend to be a little more lenient with the client.  It works more often than not.  As KC says, they work year round and can't just sit in their office and twiddle their thumbs during tax season.  What bugs me is all the workmen's comp audits that have to be done during tax season.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, NECPA in NEBRASKA said:

I'm scared to death to have one now that I work at home. There is really no place for me to put anyone else in my office. I would have to stick them out in the family room with the treadmill and they would have to use the bathroom/laundry room with the cat boxes. 

Sounds like a perfect place, actually.  :P

• Like 2