ATX Community

Can I just rant about attorneys for a minute

schirallicpa

One of my larger C corps is at the tail end of negotiating a sale, and their tax attorney called last week asking if I was busy (why no, not at all) and if I'd explained about the pitfalls of C corps selling assets instead of stock.  ERRRRRGGGG! is right!  I told him it had been going back and forth since last Sept, and where had he been in all that mess?!  Nonexistent, that's where.   :slap:

• Like 1

Just today a client forwarded a K-1 from an attorney who apparently prepared it and pointed out to him that the $70,000+ dividends were all qualified and would be taxed at 15%.  Um, did this attorney know the client's other income?  Did this attorney ever hear of the NIT?  Does this attorney know that above a certain income level, the rate is 20% plus NIT?  And I will be the one to have to explain it to the client.  Grrrrrrrrr.

And then there are the real estate attorneys (agents are famous for this as well) who tell the buyers/sellers that they can deduct all their closing costs, fix-up expenses, etc.  Oh, the deductions they will get, even if they bought the house in December and didn't make any mortgage payments yet.  Double Grrrrrrrrrrrrr.

• Like 4