ATX Community

Efie Acknowledgement-IRS says return not filed

Randall

Client trying to apply for FAFSA.  Return filed in Feb, acknowledgement received.  IRS rep telling client return not on their file.  Is there a telephone number or contact at IRS to check the submission number?  Where does client go with IRS to get this resolved?

2 hours ago, Randall said:

Thanks.  Jack, is that number a FAFSA number?  Grandmabee, is this number for tax professionals to call, not the client?

This is not a FAFSA problem.  It is a college rules/IRS database problem.  When colleges started demanding either transcripts or FAFSA with imported IRS information, this nightmare scenario was put into play.  Blame the small percentage (well maybe not small) that would give the college a different tax return than what was actually filed.

I do not know of any way to resolve this problem with the IRS.  Also, I am certain that the college financial aid department does not have anyone that actually understands what the issue is.  "We must have the IRS information imported to the FASFA" is all they are taught and even then, they have no clue as to what or why they say that.

Rant over!! 

• Like 3

There is (or maybe there used to be) a e-file helpdesk line that one could call to find out the status of an efile.  Back in the early days of efile - when William Tasker used to work at ATX, we could call that number and find out if ATX sent the return, and if not, William would "re-hang" the client file for re-submission to the IRS.  Have not done this in at least 10 years, but it used to be common to call the efile help desk.

This reminds me, I never used my companion ticket from ATX when the efile system blew up on them.  That is a trip down memory lane.

Tom
Newark, CA

6 hours ago, Randall said:

I checked with ATX.  They show the return accepted.  I'll call the efile help number Monday morning.

it is not an efile problem.  It is an IRS database issue.  I will be seriously interested if you get any help, satisfaction or the problem remedied with your phone call.  I stopped trying to fix these after my 3rd totally failed attempt.  You can't get them to fix the dinosaur computer issue inside their system.

Good Luck.

11 hours ago, Jack from Ohio said:

it is not an efile problem.  It is an IRS database issue.  I will be seriously interested if you get any help, satisfaction or the problem remedied with your phone call.  I stopped trying to fix these after my 3rd totally failed attempt.  You can't get them to fix the dinosaur computer issue inside their system.

Good Luck.

Jack, what do you do?  Does the IRS have the return?  Can they track it with the submission id?  Is there another IRS department (IT or whatever) who can track it to IRS system?  Does the client have to send in a paper return with Form 9325?

I have not had this issue with IRS.  I did, however, have a VA return that I e-filed and had an acceptance on show as not yet filed when the client started looking for their refund.  Apparently, every now and then a return filed with Virginia gets hung up in their system and does not advance due to a "defect."  At least that is the term the state employee used.  Once I inquired, they were able to see the return hanging out there and knock it loose so that it would file (again, there terminology - more technical than me, lol.)  I don't know if that ever happens with IRS.  But what could it hurt to call the e-file desk with IRS? 

Client emailed me and said he got thru to someone at IRS and it's all clear now.  Not sure what happened but I assume he gave him the info from the 9325 and they were able to track it down.  Good for me to not have to make a call in the morning to efile help desk.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Randall said:

Jack, what do you do?  Does the IRS have the return?  Can they track it with the submission id?  Is there another IRS department (IT or whatever) who can track it to IRS system?  Does the client have to send in a paper return with Form 9325?

Paper filed with "Replacement due to e-file error" written at the top of each page.