ATX Community

NT- Virus scare is something I don't need now! Should I be worried.

NECPA in NEBRASKA

A client emailed me that she opened a virus that she claims looks like it may have come from me on 3/28. She says that it had an attachment. I checked and nothing was sent from my email, so I assumed that it was a spoof. She said that she forwarded it to me, but I never received it. (Thank God)!  Today she says that someone hacked into her bank account overnight and set up a transfer. Apparently the bank caught it. I have never had her bank account numbers, so at least that didn't come from me. I run Malwarebytes and AVG full time and they both do full scans nightly. I have not heard about a fake email this year from anyone else. She is acting like it's my fault and it came from my computer. I am running scans again right now, but I don't have time for this crap. Is there anything else that I should be doing, besides being P O'd? :angry:

Client of mine had something similar and their AOL (yes, aol) email account had over 1,000 emails attempted to be sent. Very weird. I've seen those from friends but never saw the result from the infected computer before.

For your client - tell them you do not and have never had their banking information and you do not have a virus (are up and running) so how could it have originated with you? Just because an email looks like it came from me doesn't mean it did.

Just because AVG doesn't see anything doesn't mean there isn't something. Download AVAST - run a boot scan (it's free) and a full scan. Those boot scans will catch some junk where nothing else will (takes a long time). You can also download / run Panda (free), IObit Malware Fighter (free), and Spybot (free). When I've been infected with a computer virus - it's because my primary didn't catch it but another did. Be 100% sure you aren't infected before declaring yourself not the problem.

I wouldn't be worried because they proclaim you are responsible for a virus on their computer. If it's not you - oh well. You weren't malicious so don't worry.

• Like 1

Thanks! I know that AOL and Linked In were hacked a year or two ago. She did give me some of the contacts in the email and it wasn't from my list. She did say that the email was not my email address, just something like it. There was nothing in my sent file to her or anyone else from any of my email addresses that weren't really sent from me.

I will download one of these tonight when I might get to sleep.

It was her computer or email that was hacked, and that may have included her email address contact list. The hacker used your name as the sender of the fake email to fool her into opening it or clicking the attachment. Anyone could fake your name, but that doesn't mean that you sent it.

If your email was hacked and sent the message, you would see it in your sent folder unless the hacker went back and deleted all of the messages.

• Like 3