ATX Community

Roof Replacement

MAMalody

On ‎04‎/‎21‎/‎2016 at 10:12 AM, Jack from Ohio said:

Then claim as expense, any un-depreciated portion of the old roof.

And there lies the rub.  I doubt if any one of us breaks out the portion of the home that is the roof.  10 or so years later, we need to replace the roof and we are looking for a deduction on the old roof for the un-depreciated portion.  Most of the time, you are lucky to get a good valuation breakout for the land and the house.

Me - how much did you pay for the house.

Client - I think about 480K

Me - how much do you think the land it sits on is worth?

Client - Why?

Me - because we can't depreciate the land.

Client - the land is worth nothing without the home on it.  Sheesh. Everyone knows that.

• Like 10

14 hours ago, BulldogTom said:

And there lies the rub.  I doubt if any one of us breaks out the portion of the home that is the roof.  10 or so years later, we need to replace the roof and we are looking for a deduction on the old roof for the un-depreciated portion.  Most of the time, you are lucky to get a good valuation breakout for the land and the house.

Me - how much did you pay for the house.

Client - I think about 480K

Me - how much do you think the land it sits on is worth?

Client - Why?

Me - because we can't depreciate the land.

Client - the land is worth nothing without the home on it.  Sheesh. Everyone knows that.

I always request property tax forms and usually they are forthcoming.  They split the FMV between the house and land.  Otherwise, they can sometimes be obtained through the county website.

• Like 1

Thanks for the input, I appreciate it.  I copied the page out of the IRS pub that had an example specifically stating the above difference between repairs and depreciation of the roof.  Have not heard back from the attorney yet. My situation was that I sent out the return for review and return of Form 8879.  They sent me an e-mail with a statement from an attorney (he really is, I have met him) saying that the roof replacement should be expensed and then telling me not to adjust the basis.

On 4/24/2016 at 11:35 PM, MAMalody said:

They sent me an e-mail with a statement from an attorney (he really is, I have met him) saying that the roof replacement should be expensed and then telling me not to adjust the basis.

Can't be done with the new regs.  Send him back an email stating while that could have been the case years ago, but new regs come out for tax year 2014 and it is no longer allowed.  

• Like 5