ATX Community

NT New Printer

Terry D EA

Just bought and installed a new HP M402dn Laser Jet Pro printer. Spec say it will print 40 pages per minute. Anyone have any experience with this printer? This has been the year for equipment failures in my office. It started with the router deciding on its own to scramble all the IP addresses while the office was full of clients, modem failure, and finally the ten year old+ HP 2015dn printer decided it would only print one page at a time and go back to sleep. Kind of like me by April 10th just old and has seen it's better days. I babied it through as long as I could. With any luck, no problems next year.

It does have the number one drawer which is the manual paper feed. You can adjust to fit the #10 envelopes or place them in the paper drawer. I am pretty sure it will handle the 6x9 as well. So far, I think this is a pretty good printer for the price. $229.00. You can add an additional 250 count paper drawer as well.

I've always had the philosophy of buying cheaper printers that would last only 3-5 years so I wouldn't get too far behind in technology. Also, the darn drums are sooooo expensive, it's usually cheaper to buy a new printer than to replace the drum.

But the technology isn't really changing as fast as it once did. And I don't print nearly as much as I used to. Only went thru 6 reams of paper all of tax season, and my printer is the one that prints the returns.

I like the looks of the specs and features on the unit Terry purchased and would consider that, or something similar, when it's time to replace my current one. HP is always my first choice, and my first LaserJet lasted about 10 years, and my current one made it through its 12th season. It's still pretty speedy and switches easily to the envelopes, duplex, and other layout choices within its popup dialog box. Of course, going paperless has lightened its load tremendously, and printing in duplex is a big savings on paper usage.

Prices for these surely have come down though. I paid ~ $650 for it back in 2005, and it's never had a hiccup until the tray 2 main pickup roller was worn. I started using the top tray which is faster anyway, but I'm going to spend a whopping $6 to replace that roller and continue using it until it has some other problem. If it needed the full maintenance kit, that would run around $200, so it would make sense to replace the printer at that point considering its age and the price of the unit Terry just purchased.

Don't be so sure.  I purchased my HP 2035 several years ago when it first came out and got it at a bargain price.  Last year I started looking for a replacement of same model for backup just because I have a supply of toner cartridges for this machine; and also really like it.  I had to pay as much for a new one today as I did back then.    In any case, have insurance sitting on the shelf in my storage room.  When the busy season hits is no time to be shopping for a printer.

• Like 2

Just to add, I really like this printer so far. It is the fastest one that I have had. I do like the duplexing and it will save on paper. Currently I go through a case and a half during tax season. I will probably end up buying the add on paper drawer. I too have always had the best luck with HP printers. I had a brother MFC that was color. That was a huge mistake, op belts, toner, priced off the charts. A new printer would have been cheaper at the time. I wore it out in 3 years. Back to HP's and no real problems. The HP 2015 I retired lasted 10+ years. A friend of mine works on printers so I am giving it to him to go over and see what it needs. My wife can use it for her stuff if it is still okay.

• Like 2