ATX Community

IRS letter 5122-A

mircpa

Hello fellow preparers

Did any of you received this letter. I was wondering if this is legit. It says "You must verify your professionals status" and if so then send copy of State license. I called phone number listed on notice its going to voice recording from return preparer office.  I googled address listed on notice it is showing SSA office in Atlanta GA

You have a right to be suspicious.  Whom did the letter come from?  You said the phone goes to the "return preparer office."  What is that?  Everyone on this board has a "return preparer office."  SSA has no interest in your professional status as far as I know.  I'd give them a call (using a public number you can find on the internet).  This might be a new scam and they should be alerted.

Professional status can be verified through any number of professional organizations.  If you're an EA, the IRS has that info.  CPAs are licensed by state boards of accountancy, attorneys by state bar associations.  Anyone who really needed to know would contact those organizations and not rely on some certificate from you that can easily be faked.

It's becoming a scary world out there--even those of us who are trusting by nature are becoming suspicious of everyone and everything (not a peaceful way to live.)  We hardly ever answer our phone at home anymore: nothing but calls from 800 numbers that never leave a message, or from "unavailable" or "private."  Even the IRS said recently it will no longer notify taxpayers of in-person audits by phone.  They usually call to set up an appointment, but with the number of scammers pretending to be the IRS they decided to send letters instead and then follow up by phone.  And now it appears that even letters are being faked.  Whom do you trust?

• Like 2

I agree with Sara and would be suspicious of this also. A quick internet search and search of the IRS and SSA sites for that letter's number yielded -0- results.  It may be a scam trying to get your information, but you might also consider calling the IRS Professional PTIN Information Line to make sure that your PTIN hasn't been compromised and to verify the number of returns that were filed with your PTIN.  That information is available online to EAs but not yet for CPAs, but it may be worth checking.

I received the same letter. I was very skeptical, too and asked about it here. I did track down their address on Peachtree in Atlanta and faxed them my credentials with the explanation that I had never used my legal name for my business, I only used it on when I had to. Like my permit, etc. I then received another letter saying that they hadn't received my info. I'm sure that it crossed in the mail. I called the lady on my form and left a message that I had faxed it and to let me know if it was not received. She actually called me back and said that they had received it and that I was good to go. If it was not legit, they did a great job of hiding it. The info that they asked for is all public anyway. They just wanted my current permit. 

It's not just for complaints. You don't even have to comply. I just hate my legal name and only used it for my certificate and not my PTIN or corporate name.  If I didn't comply, they would take my name off of the IRS preparer's website. That would just make me happy for the same reason that I won't let QuickBooks add me to their Pro Advisors website. I am one, but I don't want people to know it. 

• Like 1