ATX Community

Church TE determination letter copy

Margaret CPA in OH

The board of my church wonder if they have ever received an IRS determination letter.  No one seems to know.  The church has been in existence since 1867 and, being a church, isn't required to have this.  But some churches do.  My research attempts to find out how to get a copy (if it exists) have been futile.  Any ideas?  Thanks!

1 hour ago, Margaret CPA in OH said:

My error was going to irs.gov first.  Just the other day someone else said to always google first. "If it isn't on Google, it doesn't exist."

Yes, I do a general search first and my default is Yahoo, don't know why, but I often will search again with Google because it does come up with difference sites, or that Google lists them in a difference priority.

Jack, I am aware that churches do not need a determination letter - for most purposes.  However locally there is a fundraising possibility for nonprofits that require it even for churches, no exceptions.  My church would like to participate.  For a variety of reasons, many churches have them. If my church doesn't already, I doubt they would try due to the expense and the requirements for the application.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Margaret CPA in OH said:

Jack, I am aware that churches do not need a determination letter - for most purposes.  However locally there is a fundraising possibility for nonprofits that require it even for churches, no exceptions.  My church would like to participate.  For a variety of reasons, many churches have them. If my church doesn't already, I doubt they would try due to the expense and the requirements for the application.

The fundraising group needs to consult with a qualified tax professional about tax matters.  Those kind of "requirements" that groups impose due to lack of knowledge, is like using a shotgun to hit one single bird in a whole flock.  Maybe you could solicit their accounting business?  Sounds like they need a knowledgeable tax professional.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Margaret CPA in OH said:

Ummm, the fundraising 'group' is Kroger.  I suspect Kroger has at least one qualified, knowledgeable tax professional on staff.  But I will pass along the suggestion.  Thanks!

Well, the evidence at hand does not support your suspicion.  If your suspicion is correct, that one staff member was not involved in the organization of this event.

• Like 1

Thanks, Gail.  Our committee meeting is Aug. 17.  The person who raised this possibility for participation will be bringing criteria.  He just emailed members asking if the church had one.  I was trying to be proactive and explained how it wasn't needed, etc. even sent links showing that churches were exempt and the incorporation document on the state website.  We shall see what next to do, if anything.  If only our EIN letter is really needed, we do have that.  But I doubt, from 1867, we have a determination letter or that it was ever applied for not being needed.

• Like 3