ATX Community

US Bureau of Labor Statistics

Lion EA

I have a client who received a US Department of Labor letter requesting he fill out an online survey.  Is this required?  What happens if he does not fill out the survey?  He really is opposed to doing this.  A few years back he had the LONG survey, and think it had penalties for non-filing.  It asked a lot of really nosy income questions, questions about clients, things this closely-held S-corporation does not want to disclose ever again.  What experience have you and your clients had?  How would you advise him?

It is never a good idea to fight city hall.  We tell our clients to give the paper to us and we do it for them.  Read the letter. I believe it tells you the penalties for non-compliance.  It is very slam dunk stuff and none of the very many that we have done have ever been abusive. Listening to the client whine if he had to do it would be abusive - but I am all about picking my correct poison.  I have found that the less the client is agitated the happier we all are.

As far as I know this is voluntary, I am not aware of any penalty for non compliance.   I had a small business client, also an S Corp ask me to help fill one out a year or two ago and remember reading it was not mandatory, I guess it was on DOL website.  But of course, if he wants to help the government out with their statistics I'm sure DOL would appreciate hearing from them. 

I helped him with the financial information for the long survey, but there was some personal information about the owners that he had to do himself, plus he redacted some info he was uncomfortable sharing.  A quick read of the letter states no penalties, fines, etc., but I can't get into the tax code from his site (where I'm working for him today) to read the code cited in the letter:  29 U.S. Code, Section 2.  I may try doing it for him online, especially since this is supposed to be the short version this year.

Thank you all for your thoughts on this.

many of my clients got this letter but the website https://idcfars.bls.gov cited in the letter does not work. We tried for 4 hours then we called and we were told to download the paper copy of the form and fax it to them.

We would have done this way to start with but the body of the letter says "To reduce costs and save tax dollars this survey had been moved online".

They should have tested the website access before  they did the mass mailing.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Naveen Mohan from New York said:

They should have tested the website access before  they did the mass mailing.

Remember --- this is government.  The IRS sent out all the notices about the ITIN renewals, etc. and told everyone they can come to the local offices to get it done ----- BUT --- did not bother to mention that you NOW need an appointment at any IRS office to get assistance on any matter.      No previous appointment made, while make one and come when you have the appointment.

I haven't been on the website (and it sounds like I won't get on!) to try to complete this for this client.  It's the short survey this year.  In a prior year, he had the long survey on paper to file with lots of questions about the finances of his business, sales/customers, shareholders/specific wages, really specific information over maybe 8-12 pages.  He contacted the DOL because he didn't want to fill it out (privately held company) but was told some penalties, don't know if from DOL or CTDOL.  He had me fill out the company financial information first, and then he added more personal information he didn't want me (or anyone) to see.  I think he even redacted some info before sending in that year.  So, he has a bad taste in his mouth receiving anything from the DOL.