ATX Community

NY friends need your help

ILLMAS

TP moved from IL to NY on 09/01/2016, TP had very little income in NY and had withholdings, however she became a permanent resident effective 09/01/2016, which form would I need to fill out?  TP lives in the 10018, and works in the 10017 zip code.  Any help will be appreciated.

MAS

Your software should do the heavy lifting after you tell it the date your client became a NY resident, but some forms to look for

TR-579-IT is the NY version of 8879

IT-201-V is the payment voucher

IT-203 is the NRPY base form

IT-203-D should flow from the federal Schedule A

IT-2 details the W-2s

IT-360.1 for moving into or out of NYC (NYC tax is calculated, but flows to IT-203; just a separate schedule and not a separate return for NYC)

Yonkers has their own schedule, also.

IT-2105.9 if underpaid

If your client had any NY-sourced income while still an IL resident or IL-sourced income after a NY resident, you'll be using more columns in the allocation.

If the company did not change/client does not have separate W-2s, you'll need a paystub with year-to-date information close to when he left IL/moved to NY to allocate his wages between the two states.

I usually do a spreadsheet and then input the income items:  wages, interest, dividends, capital gains, etc.

I proofread on the forms and not from the input screens to make sure everything flowed where I expected it to, nothing doubles, nothing is missing, the amounts from the two states add up to his federal, etc.

Moving expenses go on NY as the state he moved to, if the company did not reimburse him for deductible moving expenses.

Your software should flow everything or almost everything after you prepare the federal and give NY the date and allocate anything your software cannot.

I don't have any NY residents currently (moved to CT &/or NJ), but come back with any specific questions and hope a NY preparer jumps in.

• Like 3