ATX Community

You don't always get what you want.

BLACK BART

That's right, I was born in Berwyn, IL.  My family moved to Bellwood, IL, when I was about two.  Bellwood was home to Eugene Cernan the astronaut and the Sanford Ink Company, maker of Magic Markers.  My sister still lives there.  I spent about a decade in Santa Barbara, CA, and have lived in tiny Weston, CT, since 1978.

13 hours ago, Catherine said:

I never had to do any of that, either.  But I *do* remember dialing calls in my town and only needing five digits (then, in another, even smaller, town, only FOUR digits - almost the last town in the state to get touch-tone dialing).  And that was in the 80's and early 90's!  (19, not 18, just in case you were wondering)

I remember the the first two digits of 7 digit phone numbers have words like Ludlow. I imagine when it went from 5 numbers to 7, this helped some remember the longer number? But we always had 7 digits numbers (Ft. Lauderdale, FL).

It wasn't that long ago when we went to 10 digit dialing for local numbers. I called it 17 digit dialing because I often called the 7 digit number, got the error message then dialed the 10 digit number.

I don't often dial numbers these days. Never on cell, and on the office phones I can call back any number on the caller ID.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Lion EA said:

That's right, I was born in Berwyn, IL.  My family moved to Bellwood, IL, when I was about two.  Bellwood was home to Eugene Cernan the astronaut and the Sanford Ink Company, maker of Magic Markers.  My sister still lives there.  I spent about a decade in Santa Barbara, CA, and have lived in tiny Weston, CT, since 1978.

A person a I know bought the Sanford Ink building on Washintong & 25th Ave.

• Like 1

Took field trips there.  It always smelled great !!  (I lived on Bellwood Avenue, one house away from the train tracks.)

And, Mr. Normal:

"It wasn't that long ago when we went to 10 digit dialing for local numbers. I called it 17 digit dialing because I often called the 7 digit number, got the error message then dialed the 10 digit number."  

It wasn't long ago that CT had to add an area code, so I know the feeling.

My phone number growing up was Linden 4-3541.

• Like 1