ATX Community

Responding to IRS notices

ILLMAS

What is your protocol when it comes to handling your clients IRS notices?  For example I currently have a client that the IRS is holding on to their 2016 refund because TP had to prove their children lived with her in tax year 2015.  I had her bring as much information and I have spent 3-4 hours preparing a letter and submitting it for the IRS, TP received a response claiming she did not prove they lived with her.  I would not mine spending more time if I was charging them, at what point do you start charging?  FYI the original notice has nothing to do with the preparation, it's EIC related.

Think engagement letter.  You are correct - there is a separation between preparation and representation.  Just as you should have an engagement letter spelling out the details of the engagement for preparation work - so should you have one for representation work. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, ILLMAS said:

What is your protocol when it comes to handling your clients IRS notices?  For example I currently have a client that the IRS is holding on to their 2016 refund because TP had to prove their children lived with her in tax year 2015.  I had her bring as much information and I have spent 3-4 hours preparing a letter and submitting it for the IRS, TP received a response claiming she did not prove they lived with her.  I would not mine spending more time if I was charging them, at what point do you start charging?  FYI the original notice has nothing to do with the preparation, it's EIC related.

I had this last year for a poor grandmother, long time client, who had her grandchildren ten months in 2015 because the parents of the kids were incarcerated.  I made asked her to get everything she could on the list of suggestions that IRS provided.  I forget the form number, but you can google.  Yeah, it took a while for me to assemble and make copies.  She got her big @$$ "refund" of taxpayer money.  I charged her for the audit assistance this year when she came in and didn't know WTH the interest income from IRS was.  Yeah, she paid me.  No, I didn't charge enough.  Yes, she also had the kids 2016.  No questions from IRS this time.  She called me and thanked me.  And let me tell you it was high time.

• Like 5

46 minutes ago, DANRVAN said:

Did someone else claim the kids?  Sounds like you are headed towards an appeal.

No one claimed the children, the IRS just wanted proof of residency, relationship and support, we tried to provide as much information from Form 886-H-EIC and IRS came back and said TP did not prove residency or support.  In August of 2016, TP moved and her kids appear on the lease 2016-2017, before that she was renting on a month to month basis so there is no lease, something that didn't help her case either, was the school provided a very generic letter about her kids attending XYZ school, the letter had no date on it and I told the TP to go back to get a new one, she said the school wasn't that helpful and to just go ahead and send it like that.  I already talked to the client and she will be stopping by the local IRS office to make an appointment. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ILLMAS said:

No one claimed the children, the IRS just wanted proof of residency, relationship and support, we tried to provide as much information from Form 886-H-EIC and IRS came back and said TP did not prove residency or support.  In August of 2016, TP moved and her kids appear on the lease 2016-2017, before that she was renting on a month to month basis so there is no lease, something that didn't help her case either, was the school provided a very generic letter about her kids attending XYZ school, the letter had no date on it and I told the TP to go back to get a new one, she said the school wasn't that helpful and to just go ahead and send it like that.  I already talked to the client and she will be stopping by the local IRS office to make an appointment. 

A letter from the school won't cut it.  She needs attendance records.