ATX Community

Oooh how fun - a NEW scam!

Catherine

I just got this email (no links).  And no, I don't think I'll be contacting them.    And just as a reminder to y'all, I am not a "sir".  

Sir,

We are a construction machinery manufacturing company, with several design patents. Shenzhen Machinery Limited sales service network covers all around the world and our products are mainly sold to such regions as Japan, Mainland China, Thailand, Taiwan, USA, and Canada.

We have many customers spread all over in the USA, and we think it will be more beneficial for us to establish our corporate presence there. This is why we are reaching out to you. We require your help with establishing our "branch" in the USA. We will like you to represent our interests, by acting as our Financial Administrator over there in the USA. We feel that as a knowledgeable professional,
you have actionable professional insights that can bring our business to the next level in the USA, as we Plan to minimize investment expenses and tax.

We wait to hear from you with respect to moving this subject matter forward. We thank you for your anticipated co-operation.

Best Regards,

Ms. Shan Kiyoko
Public Affairs Director
Shenzhen Machinery Limited
2-gokan 21-4, Kita Ueno 2-chome, Taito-ku,
Tokyo 110-0014, Japan
Tel: 81-3-45400923
Fax: 81-3-45400924
  • Like 4

Another scam going around is a call from someone claiming to be a Federal judge who is telling the recipient that they failed to show up for jury duty and a fine is being levied against them.  The victim is told they have a short window of time to pay the fine or else they will be put in jail, the fine will double, etc.  It's amazing that people would think a Federal judge is going to call them directly and that paying with a prepaid Visa is a normal practice for paying a fine. 

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

I actually received this email and decided to play along. I checked out the company and it passed the smell test. Email from a standard looking and registered domain name, functional website, no reported scams online from this company (besides this post) and no suspicious request for personal information or payment (until the end... read on). "Ms. Kiyoko" and I spent about a month working on details of our agreement. FYI, I never provided personal or bank account information. They provided invoices for companies that owed them money. I received a very legit looking check from a well-known U.S. company. The envelope looked like it came from the company headquarters. I went ahead and deposited the check with intention of following up with my bank in order to verify it. The funds cleared but I held it in a separate account while working with my bank. In the meantime, I received the expected email requesting a wire transfer. I told "Ms. Kiyoko" that large checks can take a while to clear. I was informed by my bank that the check was fraudulent and they withdrew the funds. No harm done. Just wasted time. Very elaborate scheme. 

• Like 1

I got just the tail end of a voicemail recording at home that said I was being sued by "the state" for failure to pay taxes.  I always talk with my clients about the IRS calls, and by now most of them know these are frauds.  Guess the scammers are trying a new tactic.  Good thing they're too dumb to at least identify what state is suing me.

• Like 2