ATX Community

ATX transmitting on it's own.

TaxmannEA

Twice in the last week I have received rejects on returns that I have on the program, but I have not yet transmitted. Luckily they had been changed after the E-file was formed, so they did reject. I positively did not mark these for transmission and did not see them going when I sent other returns.

Anyone else having this problem or have an idea what might be going on?

If you print or click on anything after creating the efile it show rejected by the EFC. It was not transmitted or anything. You just simply re-create the efile and you are good to go. This happens with every return that I do because I create the efile to double check for errors before printing. Hope this helps.

I had exactly the same situation, probably two weeks ago. Since they were not ready for transmission, I just figuered it was a quirk in the program or I hit the wrong key and did not realize it.

When you change / print any forms the file will automatically be rejected. This is to ensure that we re-create the efile before transimitting. This is actually a better function that I like.

Agree with Wendy and DevM. It is a feature, not a flaw. The wording could be better, but I like what it does. I keep looking for that one keystroke that will cause the reject. I always like to make sure I have a clean e-file before I print or set it aside until the client comes back to pick up.

Tom

Lodi, Ca

I was confused by that feature last year and wasn't sure I really liked it. This year, I think it's great because I can "create e-file" so that the Form 8879 is complete with numbers and then print. Then when I get the 8879 back, I recreate the e-file and transmit.

I also like the added "will be e-filed" option in the letter. I don't remember that being there last year.

I know I asked for that wording change some years ago. Certainly I got tired of editing the letters....when it was impossible (illegal!) for me to file the return before they received their return.

And I'm glad that "reject" is not really a reject. I know I did not send the return I have one on now...it's not finished, and I "created" the efile solely to check for errors.

Yeah, I like the 'will be efiled' too. It definitely wasn't there last year. And I could never figure out who was filing (and 'sucessfully' at that) before the client got the return.

I always create the efile before I print it too; catches little oddities like the preparer not rolling over, or I forget to input the refund data...and last year I dont know if the checkbox for efiling was even there, and for some reason the CA part of the letter would always have mailing instructions unless you created the efile.

I was also startled last year when these "rejects" started happening. When I understood what was happening, I found I like the reassurance that there was a "safety" in place on my efiles.

I like the wording better this year. BUT.....

I still would like a connection between the efile manager and the return manager....

I would like an indicator to show on the return manager list that would indicate that a return had

been efiled. The only way I can find after 4 years of using ATX to make sure that all returns have been efiled, is to print both lists, and compare them side-by-side on my desk...

I still occasionally find one that should have been efiled that was missed...

Now at least they show up as "rejected" while I wait for the 8879 to come back. It's something at least.

How do you keep track?? Any better suggestions??

P.S.

I've at this late date (been using the software for about 6 years) started using the sort features in the efile and return managers. I only check a return is 'complete' after its been accepted by efile on both federal and state. So I can sort returns by incomplete, and efiles by 'created' , 'held' or 'rejected' and compare that way.

How do you keep track?? Any better suggestions??

P.S.

I have moved the STATUS column right next to the return name column. I make a memo in the status column (ie waiting on 8879, efiled, need ack, need info, etc). This way, I know at a glance what is happening with each of the returns.

Added: I also mark the complete box as soon as both fed & state have been accepted -- in both the return manager & efile manager.

i add a few custom columns to the return manager to keep track or thinks ie date transmited, copy mailed to client, date paid etc. This way its all in one place. Only draw back is that this info rolls over year to year so when i roll over a client i have to empty the info and start the new year fresh.